Towing of unlawfully parked vehicle
- • lien for towage, care and storage charges
- • notice requirements
(1) If a vehicle has been left or parked in violation of ORS 98.810 (Unauthorized parking of vehicle on proscribed property prohibited), the owner of the parking facility or the owner of the proscribed property may have a tower tow the vehicle from the parking facility or the proscribed property and place the vehicle in storage at a secure location under the control of the tower.
(2) A tower is entitled to a lien on a towed vehicle and its contents for the towers just and reasonable charges and may retain possession of the towed vehicle and its contents until the just and reasonable charges for the towage, care and storage, subject to subsection (3) of this section, of the towed vehicle have been paid if the tower notifies the local law enforcement agency of the location of the towed vehicle within one hour after the towed vehicle is placed in storage.
(3) A tower may not assess any storage charge against the towed vehicle under subsection (2) of this section that is incurred after:
(a) If the towed vehicle is registered in Oregon, three business days after the vehicle is placed in storage unless, within that time, the tower delivers notice by mail or gives actual notice to the owner of the towed vehicle and to each person with an interest in the vehicle as indicated by the certificate of title.
(b) If the towed vehicle is not registered in Oregon:
(A) Three business days after the vehicle is placed in storage unless, within that time, the tower notifies and requests the title information from the records of the motor vehicle agency for the state in which the towed vehicle is registered.
(B) Three business days from the date of receipt of the records requested under subparagraph (A) of this paragraph unless, within that time, the tower delivers notice by mail or gives actual notice to the owner of the towed vehicle and to each person with an interest in the vehicle as indicated by the requested records.
(4) The lien created by subsection (2) of this section may be foreclosed only in the manner provided by ORS 87.172 (Time period before foreclosure allowed) (3) and 87.176 (Fees for storage of chattel) to 87.206 (Disposition of proceeds of foreclosure sale) for foreclosure of liens arising or claimed under ORS 87.152 (Possessory lien for labor or material expended on chattel). [1953 c.575 §2; 1977 c.634 §1; 1979 c.100 §4; 1981 c.861 §25; 1983 c.436 §4; 1993 c.385 §2; 2001 c.424 §1; 2007 c.538 §11; 2009 c.622 §1; 2017 c.480 §2; 2019 c.547 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information