Certain discriminatory restrictions in conveyancing instruments prohibited
- • restriction on right of action
(1) A person conveying or contracting to convey fee title to real property may not include in an instrument for that purpose a provision:
(a) Restricting the use of the real property by any person or group of persons by reason of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or disability.
(b) Restricting the use of the real property:
(A) As a certified or registered family child care home pursuant to ORS 329A.250 (Definitions for ORS 329A.030 and 329A.250 to 329A.450) to 329A.450 (Assistance to staff of facility) or as the premises of an exempt family child care provider participating in the subsidy program under ORS 329A.500 (Subsidy programs); or
(B) By any home or facility that is licensed under ORS 443.400 (Definitions for ORS 443.400 to 443.455) to 443.455 (Civil penalties) or 443.705 (Definitions for ORS 443.705 to 443.825) to 443.825 (Disposition of penalties recovered) to provide residential care alone or in conjunction with treatment or training or a combination thereof.
(2) Any provision in an instrument executed in violation of subsection (1) of this section is void and unenforceable.
(3) An instrument that contains a provision restricting the use of real property in a manner listed in subsection (1)(b) of this section does not give rise to any public or private right of action to enforce the restriction.
(4)(a) An instrument that contains a provision restricting the use of real property by requiring roofing materials with a lower fire rating than that required in the state building code established under ORS chapter 455 does not give rise to any public or private right of action to enforce the restriction in an area determined by a local jurisdiction as a wildfire hazard zone. Prohibitions on public or private right of action under this paragraph are limited solely to considerations of fire rating.
(b) As used in this subsection, “wildfire hazard zones” are areas that are legally declared by a governmental agency having jurisdiction over the area to have special hazards caused by a combination of combustible natural fuels, topography and climatic conditions that result in a significant hazard of catastrophic fire over relatively long periods each year. Wildfire hazard zones shall be determined using criteria established by the State Forestry Department. [1973 c.258 §1; 1989 c.437 §1; 1991 c.801 §7; 1993 c.311 §1; 1993 c.430 §3; 2007 c.70 §20; 2007 c.100 §16; 2009 c.595 §61; 2017 c.221 §1]
Note: Section 7, chapter 221, Oregon Laws 2017, provides:
Sec. 7. The amendments to ORS 93.270 (Certain discriminatory restrictions in conveyancing instruments prohibited) by section 1, chapter 221, Oregon Laws 2017, and the amendments to sections 3 [100.023 (Void and unenforceable provisions of condominium governing document)] and 7 [94.779 (Irrigation requirements void and unenforceable under certain circumstances)] of this 2017 Act [chapter 423, Oregon Laws 2017] by sections 3b and 7b of this 2017 Act apply to:
(1) Instruments conveying fee title to real property executed on or after January 1, 2018; and
(2) Provisions of governing documents and guidelines adopted on or after January 1, 2018. [2017 c.221 §7; 2017 c.423 §7d]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.