Multijurisdictional agreement for collection of weight-mile taxes
- • rules
(1) The Department of Transportation may enter into an agreement with the authorized representatives of any jurisdiction that imposes weight-mile taxes, in order to form a multijurisdictional agreement for the singular collection of the total weight-mile taxes claimed due by any of the jurisdictions that are party to the agreement. An agreement established under authority granted by this section:
(a) May allow motor carriers to pay the total weight-mile taxes that are claimed due to any jurisdiction that is a party to the agreement.
(b) May provide for collection of all weight-mile taxes claimed due by any party to the agreement, on vehicles that are engaged in interjurisdictional commerce or combined interjurisdictional and intrajurisdictional commerce.
(c) May include provisions necessary to facilitate the determination and distribution of weight-mile tax moneys among the various jurisdictions.
(d) May provide that the department may deny any person further benefits under the agreement until all taxes have been paid, if the department determines that the person should have paid additional taxes.
(e) May provide for arrangements with agencies of this state and other jurisdictions for joint audits of owners of vehicles availing themselves of this agreement and for the exchange of audit information on those owners.
(f) May authorize the department to suspend or cancel any benefits under the agreement, if the person violates any of the terms or conditions of the agreement or violates any law or rule of this state relating to vehicles.
(2) The department may adopt any rules the department deems necessary to effectuate and administer the provisions of an agreement entered into under this section. Nothing in an agreement shall affect the right of the department to adopt rules as described in this section.
(3) An agreement shall be in writing and shall be filed with the department within 10 days after execution or the effective date of the agreement, whichever is later.
(4) Nothing in an agreement shall affect the right of the department to act under this section.
(5) An agreement shall not provide for any benefit, exemption or privilege with respect to any other fees or taxes levied or assessed against the use of highways or use or ownership of vehicles except weight-mile taxes, fees and requirements. [Formerly 767.882]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.