Deposit or bond to secure payment of fees, taxes, charges and penalties
(1) If the Department of Transportation finds it necessary in order to insure the collection of any fees, taxes, charges or penalties imposed upon a carrier pursuant to this chapter or ORS 818.225 (Road use assessment fee for single-trip nondivisible load permittee), the department may at the time and as a condition of granting a certificate or permit, or continuing the same, or as a condition of issuing a motor vehicle registration device, require a carrier to deposit and keep on deposit with the department a sum in an amount determined proper by the department, taking into account the nature and scope of the carrier’s operations. Moneys deposited under this section shall be deposited with the State Treasurer in an account separate and distinct from the General Fund. Interest earned by the account shall be credited to the account. The deposit required may be increased or reduced by the department at any time. In determining the necessity for an applicant or carrier to maintain a deposit the department shall consider the applicant or carrier’s financial capability and responsibility and the department’s prior experience, if any, in collecting fees, taxes, charges or penalties from the applicant, carrier or any person having a substantial interest or control, directly or indirectly, in or over the operations conducted or to be conducted under the carrier’s authority.
(2) To secure payment of sums payable by the carrier the department may accept in lieu of such deposit:
(a) A bond in the form prescribed by the department; or
(b) Bonds, negotiable by delivery, of the State of Oregon, school districts therein, or obligations of the United States, or obligations for which the faith of the United States is pledged for the payment of both principal and interest, equal in amount to the amount of the requested deposit.
(3) So long as the deposit remains unencumbered the depositor is entitled to collect the interest upon the securities described in subsection (2)(b) of this section. The department shall hold the securities upon such terms as the department shall designate and approve pursuant to the provisions of this chapter, and shall deliver such securities to the State Treasurer, who shall receive and hold them subject to the lawful orders of the department. The State Treasurer and the surety of the treasurer shall be liable upon the official bond of the treasurer for their safekeeping. The depositors shall reimburse the State Treasurer for any expenses incurred by the treasurer in the mailing, insuring, shipping or delivering of any such securities, or of the interest coupons attached thereto as they mature.
(4) If a carrier ceases to be a carrier under this chapter, within a reasonable time of the receipt by the department of all payments due, the department shall refund or have returned to the carrier all deposits and securities remaining to the carrier’s credit and shall release the surety on any bond given under this section.
(5) Any applicant or carrier required under this section to make a deposit to secure the payment of fees, taxes, charges or penalties may by proper petition demand a hearing on the necessity of such deposit or the reasonableness of the amount required. A hearing shall be granted and held within 10 days after the demand therefor. The decision of the department shall become final 10 days after service of the order upon the applicant or carrier concerned. [Formerly 767.870]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information