Disposal of vehicle at request of person in lawful possession
- • rules
(1) A person may make a request to an authority described in ORS 819.140 (Agencies having authority to take vehicle into custody) (1)(b) or (c) to dispose of a vehicle that is on the private property of the person and that is appraised at a value of $500 or less, as determined by a holder of a certificate issued under ORS 819.480 (Vehicle appraiser certificate), if the person is in lawful possession of the vehicle. For the purposes of this subsection, a person need not have the certificate of title to be in lawful possession of the vehicle.
(2) If the authority requested to dispose of a vehicle under subsection (1) of this section chooses to dispose of the vehicle, the authority shall do all of the following:
(a) Photograph the vehicle.
(b) Verify that the person is in lawful possession of the vehicle.
(c) Provide notification to the person requesting the disposal and the Department of Transportation of all of the following:
(A) The name and address of the person requesting the disposal;
(B) The vehicle identification number;
(C) The appraised value of the vehicle;
(D) The appraisers certificate number and signature; and
(E) The name and address of the authority disposing of the vehicle.
(d) Dispose of the vehicle and its contents to a person who holds a valid dismantler certificate issued under ORS 822.110 (Dismantler certificate).
(3) The authority disposing of the vehicle may charge the person requesting the disposal a fee to dispose of the vehicle.
(4) Disposal of a vehicle to a dismantler as provided in this section extinguishes all prior ownership and possessory rights.
(5) The department shall adopt rules specifying the form in which notification required by subsection (2) of this section shall be submitted and what additional information shall be conveyed to the department.
(6) In lieu of submitting ownership or other title documents for the vehicle, the authority disposing of the vehicle may submit to the dismantler a copy of the notification provided to the department under subsection (2) of this section. [2005 c.738 §2; 2005 c.738 §2a]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information