Exemptions from requirement to be equipped with pollution control system
This section establishes exemptions from the requirements under ORS 815.295 (Failure to have required pollution control equipment) to be equipped with a certified pollution control system. Exemptions established by this section are in addition to any exemptions established by ORS 801.026 (General exemptions). The exemptions established in this section are also applicable to requirements for certification of pollution control equipment before registration under ORS 803.350 (Qualifications for registration) and 803.465 (Proof of compliance with pollution control equipment requirements). All of the following vehicles are exempt from the requirements under ORS 815.295 (Failure to have required pollution control equipment):
(1) Any vehicle that is not a motor vehicle.
(2) Any vehicle unless the vehicle is registered within:
(a) The boundaries of the metropolitan service district formed under ORS chapter 268 for the metropolitan area, as defined in ORS 268.020 (Definitions), which includes the City of Portland, Oregon.
(b) Boundaries designated by the Environmental Quality Commission under ORS 468A.390 (Designation of areas of the state subject to motor vehicle emission inspection program).
(3) Any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine when the registration results from the initial retail sale thereof.
(4) Any motor vehicle:
(a) Not registered in areas designated under subsection (2)(a) of this section, including any expansion of such boundary under subsection (2)(b) of this section, with a model year that predates by more than 20 years the year in which registration or renewal of registration is required; or
(b) Registered in areas designated under subsection (2)(a) of this section, including any expansion of such boundary under subsection (2)(b) of this section, with a model year of 1974 or earlier.
(6) Special interest vehicles that are maintained as collectors items and used for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses but not used primarily for the transportation of persons or property.
(7) Fixed load vehicles.
(8) Vehicles that are proportionally registered under ORS 826.009 (Proportional registration of commercial vehicles) and 826.011 (Proportional fleet registration) in accordance with agreements established under ORS 826.007 (Authority for proportional registration agreements).
(9) Electric motor vehicles. This subsection does not exempt hybrid motor vehicles that use electricity and another source of motive power.
(10) First response rescue units operated by political subdivisions of this state that are not used to transport persons who are ill or injured or who have disabilities.
(11) A vehicle that is currently registered in Oregon at the time application for new registration is received by the Department of Transportation if the new registration is a result of a change in the registration or plate type and the application is received at least four months prior to the expiration of the existing registration.
(12) Golf carts.
(13) Any Class I, Class II, Class III or Class IV all-terrain vehicle.
(14) An original equipment manufacturer vehicle that is engineered, designed, produced and warranted to use natural gas as its only fuel source.
(15) Racing activity vehicles. [1983 c.338 §505; 1985 c.16 §263; 1985 c.222 §5; 1987 c.349 §7; 1989 c.43 §35; 1991 c.15 §6; 1991 c.383 §4; 1993 c.791 §5; 1997 c.418 §1; 2001 c.293 §10; 2007 c.70 §348; 2007 c.693 §7; 2011 c.360 §20]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information