Exemptions from traction tire or chains requirement
This section establishes exemptions from ORS 815.140 (Failure to use vehicle traction tires or chains). The following are completely or partially exempt as described:
(1) Police vehicles under any conditions.
(2) Fire vehicles when responding to a fire.
(3) An ambulance when responding to an emergency.
(4) A passenger vehicle or truck is not required to use chains if the vehicle or truck:
(a) Has an unloaded weight of 6,500 pounds or less;
(b) Is equipped and operated to provide power to both front and rear wheels;
(c) Is carrying chains as defined in ORS 815.045 (Rules for use of traction tires, retractable studded tires and chains);
(d) Is equipped with tires, on all wheels, that are vehicle traction tires as defined in ORS 815.045 (Rules for use of traction tires, retractable studded tires and chains);
(e) Is not towing another vehicle other than as may be necessary to remove disabled vehicles from the roadway; and
(f) Is not being operated in a manner or under conditions where the vehicle loses traction while stopping, cornering or moving.
(5) Vehicles exempt by rule under ORS 815.045 (Rules for use of traction tires, retractable studded tires and chains). [1983 c.338 §475; 1997 c.493 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.