State vehicle equipment standards
(1) The Department of Transportation shall adopt and enforce minimum standards for vehicle performance or vehicle equipment performance consistent with this section.
(2) Standards adopted by the department under this section shall be consistent with any vehicle standards established under federal regulations or under standards of the Society of Automotive Engineers, the American National Standards Institute or the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
(3) As federal regulations concerning vehicle equipment are subsequently amended or repealed the department may consider subsequent federal vehicle safety standards and adopt standards with respect to any vehicle or item of vehicle equipment applicable to the same aspect of performance of such vehicle or item of equipment if the department determines that the subsequent federal standards are practicable, provide an objective standard and meet the need for vehicle safety.
(4) Standards adopted by the department under this section supersede any equipment provision of the vehicle code applicable to the same aspect of performance that conflicts with a specific provision of a standard adopted by the department under this section with respect to compliance with safety standards in effect at the time of sale.
(5) The department shall continue to adopt equipment standards as required under other sections of the vehicle code if there is no standard under this section.
(6) Proof of certification of equipment under this section may be in the form of a symbol or designation prescribed in federal standards or if there is no federal symbol or designation, by a symbol or designation acceptable to the department.
(7) Compliance with any requirements for equipment under this section is subject to ORS 815.010 (Compliance with standards for equipment).
(8) Prohibitions and penalties relating to the standards established under this section are provided under ORS 815.075 (Selling vehicles or equipment that violates rules) and 815.100 (Operation of vehicle that violates equipment rules). [1983 c.338 §439; 1985 c.188 §1; 2003 c.158 §2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.