Driver failure to report accident to Department of Transportation
- • penalty
(1) The driver of a vehicle commits the offense of driver failure to report an accident if the driver does any of the following:
(a) Is driving any vehicle that is involved in an accident required to be reported under ORS 811.720 (When accident must be reported to Department of Transportation) and does not, within 72 hours of the accident, complete a report of the accident in a form approved by the Department of Transportation and submit the report to the department.
(b) Is driving a vehicle that is involved in an accident and does not submit to the department any report required by the department that is other than or in addition to the reports required by this section. The department may request a supplemental report if in the opinion of the department the original report is insufficient.
(c) Is driving any vehicle that is involved in an accident required to be reported under ORS 811.720 (When accident must be reported to Department of Transportation) and does not, within 72 hours of the accident, provide proof of compliance with financial responsibility requirements to the department, in a form furnished by the department, that at the time of the accident the person was in compliance with the financial responsibility requirements.
(2) The proof of compliance with financial responsibility required under this section is subject to the prohibitions and penalties for false certification under ORS 806.050 (Falsification of financial responsibility).
(3) The reports described under this section are subject to the provisions of ORS 802.220 (Availability of records) and 802.240 (Driver and vehicle records as evidence) relating to the use of such reports after submission. Exemptions from requirements to provide proof of compliance with financial responsibility are established under ORS 806.020 (Exemptions from financial responsibility requirements).
(4) A driver may be required to file additional accident reports with a city as provided under ORS 801.040 (Authority to adopt special provisions).
(5) The offense described in this section, driver failure to report an accident, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §577; 1985 c.393 §36; 1993 c.751 §67; 2005 c.195 §1; 2019 c.312 §13]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information