Controlling parking on highways
- • limitations
Except as otherwise provided in this section, each road authority has exclusive authority to regulate, control or prohibit the stopping, standing and parking of vehicles upon its own highways. The Oregon Transportation Commission shall act as road authority under this section in lieu of the Department of Transportation. The authority granted in this section is subject to all of the following:
(1) The commission has exclusive authority to regulate, control or prohibit the stopping, standing and parking on all state highways:
(a) Within the corporate limits of a city except where the highway is routed over a city street under ORS 373.010 (Routing and marking state highways through cities).
(b) Within the corporate limits of any city if access to or from the section of highway and real property abutting thereon was restricted, controlled or prohibited by the commission before the section of highway was included within the corporate limits of the city.
(2) Road authorities other than the commission may permit angle parking on any highway where parking is subject to their jurisdiction under this section. For cities, this subsection includes authority to permit angle parking on any city street selected and designated as the route of a state highway under ORS 373.010 (Routing and marking state highways through cities) and, subject to the authority of the commission under this section, any state highway within the corporate limits of the city. This subsection does not allow any road authority to permit angle parking on a state highway if the commission determines that the highway is not of sufficient width to permit angle parking without interfering with the free movement of traffic.
(3) All regulations, restrictions or prohibitions imposed by the commission under this section shall be by resolution or order entered in the commission’s official records.
(4) Regulations, restrictions or prohibitions imposed by the commission under this section shall become effective and have the force of law when signs or markings giving notice thereof have been placed. To comply with this subsection, the commission shall place and maintain appropriate signs or markings at such places as may be necessary to inform the public and to give notice of all regulations, restrictions or prohibitions the commission establishes under this section.
(5) Penalties are provided under ORS 811.575 (Violation of posted parking restrictions on state highways) for violation of restrictions placed on state highways under this section. [1983 c.338 §160]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information