Use of golf carts on highways
- • rules
A road authority, on any of its own highways that are located adjacent to a golf course, may permit the operation of golf carts between the golf course and the place where golf carts are parked or stored or located within or bounded by a real estate development. All of the following apply to the authority granted under this section:
(1) Exercise of the authority granted under this section must be by means of an ordinance.
(2) The authority granted under this section may only be exercised where the combined operation of golf carts and regular vehicle traffic can be accomplished safely.
(3) A road authority shall prescribe rules and shall regulate the combined operation of golf carts and vehicles when permitted under this section. The rules may establish speed limits and other operating standards but shall not require that golf carts conform with the vehicle equipment laws under the vehicle code.
(4) A designation of combined operation under this section or rules instituted under this section are effective when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are posted along the affected highway and are not effective before such posting.
(5) If a designation is made under this section to permit combined operation, the golf carts operated in accordance with the designation and rules adopted by the road authority qualifies for the exemptions under ORS 820.210 (Registration exemptions for golf carts and similar vehicles).
(6) This section only applies to real estate developments that have single or multiple family residences whose owners or occupants are eligible for membership in or the use of one or more golf courses within the development by virtue of ownership or occupancy of a residential dwelling unit in the development.
(7) This section neither grants authority to nor limits the authority of the Department of Transportation. [1983 c.338 §151; 2003 c.757 §2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information