Increase in weight or size if highway found capable of supporting increase
- • rules
A road authority shall adopt a rule, resolution or ordinance to allow vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a loaded weight in excess of the weight limitations established by Table III under ORS 818.010 (Maximum allowable weight) or a length or width in excess of that authorized under ORS 818.080 (Maximum size limits) and 818.090 (Violation of maximum size limits) to be operated over any highway of the road authority if the road authority determines that the highway is capable of carrying greater weight, length or width. The authority granted under this section is subject to all of the following:
(1) The authority may only be exercised by rule, resolution or ordinance.
(2) The authority does not allow any road authority to authorize any vehicle to be operated over any highway if the vehicle has a height in excess of that allowed under ORS 818.080 (Maximum size limits) and 818.090 (Violation of maximum size limits).
(3) The provisions of any rule, resolution or ordinance adopted under this section may be amended, rescinded or repealed at any time.
(4) The provisions of any rule, resolution or ordinance adopted under this section are subject to the maximum size, weight and width limits established under ORS 810.050 (Increase or decrease in size or weight limits on highways if federal mandate allows or requires).
(5) A rule, resolution or ordinance adopted under this section shall fix the maximum loaded weight, length, width and types and classes of vehicles or combinations of vehicles that may be operated on the highway or highways or sections of highways described in the rule, resolution or ordinance.
(6) A duplicate original of a rule or resolution adopted by the Department of Transportation under this section and an amendment to or repeal of a rule or resolution by the department shall be filed with the Secretary of State. This subsection does not require an ordinance adopted by a city or county under this section to be filed with the Secretary of State.
(7) After the effective date of a rule, resolution or ordinance adopted under this section, a variance permit under ORS 818.200 (Authority to issue variance permits) is not required for the operation upon the described highway of a vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not in excess of the maximum loaded weight, length or width fixed by the rule, resolution or ordinance for vehicles or combinations of vehicles of that type or class.
(8) Penalties are provided under ORS 818.060 (Violation of administratively imposed weight or size limits) for violation of limits established under this section. [1983 c.338 §150; 1985 c.16 §48]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.