Applicant temporary permit
- • rules
(1) The Department of Transportation shall provide for the issuance of applicant temporary driver permits in a manner consistent with this section.
(2) The department may issue an applicant temporary driver permit to an applicant for a driver license or for a driver permit while the department is determining all facts relative to application for the driver license or driver permit. The department shall set forth on the applicant temporary driver permit the driving privileges granted under the permit.
(3) The holder of an applicant temporary driver permit must have the temporary driver permit on the holder’s person while operating a motor vehicle. The holder of an applicant temporary driver permit must operate within the driving privileges granted under the temporary driver permit.
(4) An applicant temporary driver permit is valid for a period of 30 days from the date issued. The department may extend the term of the permit for sufficient cause. An extension of the term of the permit may not exceed an additional 30 days.
(5) If an applicant has complied with all the requirements for an application for a driver license or driver permit, except that the applicant is unable to produce the documentation required by the department under ORS 807.021 (Proof of legal presence) and 807.730 (Issuance of limited term driver licenses, permits and identification cards), the department, at the time of application, may issue to the applicant an applicant temporary driver permit as provided in this section if the applicant certifies that the applicant is, to the best of the applicant’s knowledge, legally present in the United States.
(6) An applicant temporary driver permit issued to an applicant who is applying for noncommercial driving privileges under subsection (5) of this section is valid for a period of 90 days from the date issued. The department may extend the term of the permit up to two times for sufficient cause. Each extension of the term of the permit may not exceed 90 days.
(7) Notwithstanding subsection (6) of this section, the department may, in the manner provided by rule, further extend the term of the applicant temporary driver permit for an applicant who needs additional time to obtain the documentation required under ORS 807.021 (Proof of legal presence) and 807.730 (Issuance of limited term driver licenses, permits and identification cards).
(8) An applicant temporary driver permit automatically becomes invalid if the applicant’s license or permit is issued or refused for good cause.
(9) The department may not charge a fee for issuance of an applicant temporary driver permit under this section. [1983 c.338 §315; 1985 c.16 §134; 1985 c.597 §13; 1985 c.608 §22; 2008 c.1 §27; 2011 c.9 §98; 2011 c.282 §3; 2017 c.190 §14]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.