Commercial learner driver permit
- • fees
(1) The Department of Transportation shall issue commercial learner driver permits in the manner provided by this section. Except as provided in this section, a person who is issued a commercial learner driver permit may exercise the same driving privileges as those under the class of commercial driver license or endorsement for which the permit is issued. Except as provided in this section, a commercial learner driver permit is subject to the provisions, conditions, prohibitions and penalties applicable to a license or endorsement granting the same driving privileges.
(2) The department may issue commercial learner driver permits under this section that grant the driving privileges of a Class A commercial, Class B commercial or Class C commercial driver license, subject to the requirements and restrictions described in this section.
(3) An applicant for a commercial learner driver permit must be 18 years of age or older and must have a valid driver license issued by the department.
(4) In addition to meeting the requirement of providing proof of legal presence under ORS 807.021 (Proof of legal presence) and 807.040 (Requirements for issuance), an applicant for a commercial learner driver permit must submit valid documentation, as defined by the department by rule, that the person is a citizen or permanent legal resident of the United States. The requirements of this subsection do not apply to:
(a) An applicant for a limited term commercial learner driver permit issued under ORS 807.730 (Issuance of limited term driver licenses, permits and identification cards).
(b) A person who is a citizen of a country with a Compact of Free Association with the United States.
(5) A commercial learner driver permit is valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance and is not renewable.
(6) Except as provided in subsection (7) of this section, the holder of the commercial learner driver permit may not operate a commercial motor vehicle unless the holder has the permit in the holder’s immediate possession and is accompanied by a person who:
(a) Is at least 21 years of age;
(b) Holds a class of commercial driver license and endorsements that grant the driving privileges required to operate the vehicle;
(c) Has no restrictions on the person’s driving privileges that would make operation of the vehicle unlawful under ORS 807.010 (Operating vehicle without driving privileges or in violation of license restrictions) (2);
(d) Has the permit holder under observation and direct supervision; and
(e) Is occupying a seat beside the holder of the permit or, in the case of a commercial passenger vehicle, directly behind or in the first row behind the driver.
(7) When taking an examination as described in ORS 807.070 (Examinations) (3) with an examiner employed by the department, the holder of a commercial learner driver permit is not required to be accompanied by a commercial driver license holder as otherwise required under subsection (6) of this section.
(8) The holder of a commercial learner driver permit may not operate:
(a) Any vehicle transporting hazardous materials.
(b) A tank vehicle, unless the tank is empty.
(c) A commercial passenger vehicle while transporting passengers, unless the passengers are federal or state auditors or inspectors, test examiners or other trainees and there is a commercial driver license holder accompanying the permit holder as required by subsection (6) of this section.
(d) A school bus while transporting passengers, unless the other passengers are federal or state auditors or inspectors, test examiners or other trainees and there is a commercial driver license holder accompanying the permit holder as required by subsection (6) of this section.
(e) A commercial motor vehicle combination consisting of more than one towed vehicle.
(9) A commercial learner driver permit must contain all of the applicable information described in ORS 807.110 (Contents of license) (1) and a prominent statement that the permit is a “commercial learner permit” or “CLP.”
(10) An applicant for a commercial learner driver permit must pay the commercial learner driver permit fee established under ORS 807.370 (License, endorsement and permit fees). [2013 c.237 §32; 2017 c.306 §§5,5a]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.