Special student driver permit
- • fees
The Department of Transportation shall provide for issuance of special student driver permits in a manner consistent with this section. A special student driver permit grants the driving privileges provided in this section or under the permit. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a special student driver permit is subject to the fees, provisions, conditions, prohibitions and penalties applicable to a Class C license. The following apply to a special student driver permit:
(1) The department may issue a special student driver permit to a person 14 years of age or older.
(2) The department shall place restrictions on the permit to limit operation of a vehicle under the permit to operation necessary as a means of transportation to or from the school, college or other educational institution attended by the person to whom the driver permit is issued.
(3) The permit shall only be issued if the applicant has no other available means of transportation by which to continue the applicant’s education.
(4) The permit shall only be issued if the department is satisfied that the applicant has had sufficient experience in the operation of motor vehicles to operate a motor vehicle without endangering the safety of the public.
(5) The department may establish a form for the permit that differs from the form required for a license that is issued.
(6) The only fee required for issuance of the permit is the special student driver permit fee under ORS 807.370 (License, endorsement and permit fees).
(7) The department shall cancel the permit if the department determines that the holder of the permit has operated a motor vehicle over any highway or for any purpose other than as approved under the permit.
(8) If a special student driver permit is canceled, the person issued the permit is ineligible to be issued any license or driver permit until the person is old enough to be eligible for a license.
(9) In addition to any other application requirements for the special student driver permit, the applicant must:
(a) Certify that the applicant has no other available means of transportation that would enable the applicant to continue the applicant’s education;
(b) Specify the road or highway over which the applicant desires to operate motor vehicles;
(c) Obtain the endorsement of the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides and of the principal of the school the applicant attends; and
(d) Provide any other information required by the department. [1983 c.338 §323; 1985 c.174 §11; 1985 c.597 §17a; 1985 c.608 §27; 1989 c.636 §28; 2003 c.14 §480; 2005 c.59 §6]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.