Replacement license or permit
- • rules
- • fees
(1) The Department of Transportation shall establish by rule the reasons for issuing a replacement driver license or driver permit to a person who submits an application for the replacement. The reasons for replacement shall include, but are not limited to, situations when the person:
(a) Furnishes proof satisfactory to the department of the loss, destruction or mutilation of the person’s driver license or driver permit.
(b) Changes residence address from the address noted on the person’s driver license or driver permit.
(c) Is a corrections officer or an eligible employee who has requested, in accordance with ORS 802.250 (Records containing residence address of eligible public employee or household member) or 802.253 (Records containing residence address of corrections officer or household member), that department records show the address of the person’s employer.
(d) Changes names from the name noted on the person’s driver license or driver permit.
(e) Is applying or is required to add or remove a restriction on the driver license or driver permit.
(f) Is applying or is required to add or remove an endorsement other than a motorcycle endorsement on the driver license or driver permit.
(g) Furnishes proof satisfactory to the department or the department determines that the department made an error when issuing a driver license or driver permit.
(h) Furnishes proof satisfactory to the department that, for a reason identified by the department by rule, the person needs a replacement driver license or driver permit that bears a different distinguishing number from the license or permit being replaced.
(i) Furnishes proof satisfactory to the department that the person is a veteran, as defined in ORS 408.225 (Definitions for ORS 408.225 to 408.237), and the person requests a replacement driver license that includes the fact that the person is a veteran.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1)(b) of this section, in lieu of issuing a replacement driver license or driver permit upon a change in residence address of a person, the department may note the change of residence address on the person’s license or permit in a manner determined by the department.
(3) A replacement driver license or driver permit issued under this section:
(a) Shall bear the same distinguishing number as the driver license or driver permit replaced unless the person applying for the replacement furnishes proof as described in subsection (1)(h) of this section.
(b) Does not alter or extend the driving privileges granted to the person under the old license or permit unless the replacement license or permit was issued for the purpose of changing a restriction or endorsement or for correcting an error involving driving privileges.
(4) Except for driver permits for which the department does not charge an issuance fee, the department shall charge the fee under ORS 807.370 (License, endorsement and permit fees) for a replacement license or driver permit issued under this section. The replacement fee is in addition to any endorsement or test fee that may apply. The department may waive the replacement fee as provided under ORS 807.390 (Waiver of certain fees).
(5) The driver license or driver permit replaced under this section is invalid and shall be surrendered to the department.
(6) The department may not issue a replacement driver license or driver permit under this section if:
(a) The person making application is not qualified to hold a license or permit at the time of application.
(b) The driving privileges of the person making application are suspended or revoked and have not been partially or completely reinstated.
(7) The department need not issue a replacement driver license or driver permit to a person who has not complied with the requirements and responsibilities created by citation for or conviction of a traffic offense in another jurisdiction if an agreement under ORS 802.530 (Authority of department for reciprocal agreements concerning traffic offenses) authorizes the department to withhold issuance of a replacement license or permit. [1983 c.338 §313; 1985 c.16 §133; 1985 c.174 §9; 1985 c.258 §4; 1985 c.396 §8; 1985 c.563 §7; 1985 c.597 §12a; 1985 c.669 §9; 1989 c.535 §1; 1991 c.67 §218; 1991 c.523 §7; 1991 c.702 §23; 1993 c.393 §2; 1993 c.751 §43; 2005 c.59 §1; 2005 c.241 §1a; 2005 c.292 §8a; 2010 c.61 §2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.