(1) The Department of Transportation may place restrictions on any driving privileges granted a person if the department determines that there is good cause to restrict the driving privileges of the person in order to ensure the safe operation of a motor vehicle by the person.
(2) Restrictions placed on a driver license or driver permit by the department under this section shall be suitable to the driving ability of the person whose driving privileges are restricted. The restrictions may include:
(a) Restrictions on the type of motor vehicle the person may operate;
(b) Requirements for special mechanical control devices on motor vehicles operated by the person; or
(c) Any other restrictions the department determines appropriate to ensure the safe operation of a motor vehicle by the person.
(3) The department shall place a restriction on the commercial driver license of a person who performs the skill demonstration required under ORS 807.070 (Examinations) for issuance of a commercial driver license in a vehicle that:
(a) Is not equipped with air brakes. A restriction imposed under this paragraph prohibits the person from operating commercial motor vehicles equipped with service brakes that operate fully or partially by air pressure.
(b) Is equipped with air over hydraulic brakes. Air over hydraulic brakes includes any braking system operating partially by air pressure and partially by hydraulic pressure. A restriction imposed under this paragraph prohibits the person from operating commercial motor vehicles equipped with service brakes that operate solely by air pressure.
(c) Is equipped with an automatic transmission. A restriction imposed under this paragraph prohibits the person from operating commercial motor vehicles equipped with manual transmissions.
(d) Uses any connection other than a fifth wheel hitch between the power unit and a vehicle towed in combination with the power unit. A restriction under this paragraph prohibits the person from operating a commercial motor vehicle in combination with any other vehicle using a fifth wheel hitch between the power unit and first towed unit.
(4) The department shall place a restriction on the commercial driver license and the commercial learner driver permit of a person who does not pass an air brakes knowledge test administered under ORS 807.070 (Examinations). The restriction shall prohibit the person from operating a commercial motor vehicle with service brakes that operate fully or partially by air pressure.
(5) The department may impose restrictions under this section by setting forth the restrictions on the regular license form or by issuing a special form for licenses with restrictions.
(6) The department shall place restrictions on driving privileges under this section when ordered by a court under ORS 809.210 (Suspension or restriction of driving privileges for failure to pay fine or obey court order) or 809.270 (Driver improvement course). Any restriction imposed under this subsection shall be made a part of the person’s driving record and shall remain in effect until the court notifies the department in writing that the restrictions are removed.
(7) The department may impose restrictions under this section on driving privileges that are restored after having been suspended or revoked. The restrictions imposed under this subsection may include any restrictions that have been recommended by a convicting magistrate.
(8) The use of the term “restrictions” in this section includes any restrictions, conditions or requirements.
(9) Violation of any restrictions placed on driving privileges under this section is punishable as provided under ORS 807.010 (Operating vehicle without driving privileges or in violation of license restrictions). [1983 c.338 §307; 1985 c.16 §128; 1989 c.636 §23; 2013 c.237 §43]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.