Period of validity
- • transfer
- • replacement
(1) Registration plates assigned to a vehicle by the Department of Transportation shall remain with the vehicle to which the plates are assigned and are valid only during the registration period for which the plates are issued except as provided in this section.
(2) The department may allow registration plates to be transferred to another vehicle if:
(a) The department receives an application;
(b) The applicant pays the plate transfer fee under ORS 803.575 (Fees for cards, plates and stickers); and
(c) The applicant complies with the registration qualifications described in ORS 803.350 (Qualifications for registration).
(3) The department shall transfer registration plates under this section if the applicant and the vehicle qualify for the plates and the plates are:
(a) Legible and capable of being used for identification purposes; and
(b) Any of the following:
(A) From a current issue of registration plates;
(B) Customized registration plates described under ORS 805.240 (Customized plates);
(C) Oregon Trail commemorative registration plates issued under section 113, chapter 741, Oregon Laws 1993;
(D) Special registration plates issued under ORS 805.255 (Salmon registration plate), 805.260 (Cultural registration plates), 805.263 (Crater Lake National Park registration plate), 805.266 (Wine country registration plate), 805.278 (Portland Trail Blazers registration plate) or 805.283 (Breast cancer awareness registration plate);
(E) Group registration plates issued under ORS 805.205 (Special plates for certain groups);
(F) Veterans recognition registration plates issued under ORS 805.105 (Veterans recognition plates);
(G) Pacific Wonderland registration plates issued under ORS 805.287 (Pacific Wonderland registration plate); or
(H) Registration plates issued through the special registration program under ORS 805.222 (Special registration program).
(4) Notwithstanding ORS 803.400 (Duration of registration periods), when registration plates are transferred from one vehicle to another vehicle owned by the same person, the registration period represented by the plates also transfers with the plates. When registration plates are transferred from one vehicle to another vehicle not owned by the same person, the remaining registration period represented by the transferred plates ceases for both the vehicle receiving the transferred plates and the vehicle from which the plates were removed.
(5) The owner of a registered vehicle to which a plate is assigned may replace a registration plate. The following apply to this subsection:
(a) To replace a plate under this subsection, the owner must apply to the department for replacement of the plate in a form prescribed by the department and pay the replacement plate fee established under ORS 803.575 (Fees for cards, plates and stickers).
(b) The department, in lieu of replacement, may issue duplicate plates for the same fee as charged for replacements.
(c) The plates issued under this subsection are valid only for the period of the plates replaced.
(6) A county may replace a registration plate that is from a specially designed government series with a registration plate that is from a regular series. The following apply to this subsection:
(a) To replace a plate under this subsection, the county must apply to the department for replacement of the plate in a form prescribed by the department and pay the replacement plate fee established under ORS 803.575 (Fees for cards, plates and stickers).
(b) The plates issued under this subsection are valid only for the period of the plates replaced.
(7) If the department retired the vehicles registration under ORS 819.030 (Department procedure on receipt of title or notice) because the vehicle is totaled or substantially altered, a person may apply under subsection (2) of this section to transfer the registration plates to another vehicle.
(8) Subject to subsections (2) and (4) of this section, after the department authorizes the use of special interest plates under ORS 805.210 (Special interest vehicle plates), a person may apply to transfer the plates to either:
(a) A vehicle that was previously determined by the department to qualify as a vehicle of special interest; or
(b) A vehicle approved by the department as a vehicle of special interest at the time of application.
(9) If a person described in subsection (8) of this section provides the department with only one special interest registration plate for transfer and the departments vehicle records show the special interest registration plate belongs to a vehicle record with no owner matching an applicant, the applicant shall provide proof, as determined by the department by rule, that the plate is no longer used on the vehicle it is currently showing being registered to in the departments vehicle records. [1983 c.338 §259; 1985 c.16 §100; 1985 c.174 §5; 1985 c.243 §3; 1985 c.570 §3; 1987 c.158 §163; 1993 c.741 §120; 2001 c.827 §3; 2003 c.409 §8; 2005 c.71 §1; 2015 c.540 §3; 2015 c.806 §17; 2018 c.114 §10; 2019 c.17 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information