Release or assignment of title interest
- • rules
- • when and by whom required
- • exceptions
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, upon the transfer of any interest shown on an Oregon title any person whose interest is released, terminated, assigned or transferred, shall release or assign that interest in a manner specified by the Department of Transportation by rule. Rules adopted for purposes of this subsection shall be designed, as much as possible, to protect the interests of all parties to the transfer. If required under ORS 803.102 (Odometer disclosure statement upon transfer of interest), the person shall also complete an odometer disclosure statement.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section:
(a) In the case of a transfer by operation of law of any interest shown on an Oregon title, the personal representative, receiver, trustee, sheriff or other representative or successor in interest of the person whose interest is transferred shall release or assign interest and if required by the department by rule, as provided under ORS 803.102 (Odometer disclosure statement upon transfer of interest), complete an odometer disclosure statement and shall provide the certificate, if any, and disclosure statement if required to the transferee. The representative or successor shall also provide the transferee with information satisfactory to the department concerning all facts entitling such representative or successor to transfer title. If there is no person to assign interest, the person to whom interest is awarded or otherwise transferred shall be responsible for the requirements of this paragraph.
(b) In the case of a transfer at death of the interest of the owner, lessor or security interest holder if the estate is not being probated and title is not being transferred under the provisions of ORS 114.547 (Sales and transfers to third parties), interest may be assigned through the use of an affidavit. The affidavit shall be on a form prescribed by the department and signed by all of the known heirs of the person whose interest is being transferred stating the name of the person to whom the ownership interest has been passed. If any heir has not arrived at the age of majority or is otherwise incapacitated, the parent or guardian of the heir shall sign the affidavit. In the case of a transfer under this paragraph, one of the heirs or any other person designated by the department by rule shall complete any odometer disclosure statement required under ORS 803.102 (Odometer disclosure statement upon transfer of interest).
(c) In the case of a transfer at death of the interest of the owner, lessor or security interest holder where transfer occurs under the provisions of ORS 114.547 (Sales and transfers to third parties), the affiant as defined in ORS 114.505 (Definitions for ORS 114.505 to 114.560) is the person required to assign interest. The department may designate by rule the affiant or any other person to complete any odometer disclosure statement required under ORS 803.102 (Odometer disclosure statement upon transfer of interest).
(d) Upon the termination of a lease, in lieu of the lessee releasing interest, the lessor may provide information satisfactory to the department that the lease has been terminated. The lessor shall provide an odometer disclosure statement if required under ORS 803.102 (Odometer disclosure statement upon transfer of interest). If the lessor does not take possession of the vehicle upon termination of the lease, the information in the odometer disclosure given by the lessor may be taken from an odometer disclosure given by the lessee to the lessor under ORS 803.102 (Odometer disclosure statement upon transfer of interest) unless the lessor has reason to believe that the disclosure by the lessee does not reflect the actual mileage of the vehicle.
(e) A security interest holder or lessor, without the consent of the owner, may assign interest of the holder or lessor in a vehicle to a person other than the owner without affecting the interest of the owner or the validity or priority of the interest. A person not given notice of such assignment is protected in dealing with the security interest holder or lessor as the holder of the interest until the assignee files in accordance with ORS chapter 79. This paragraph does not exempt such assignments from title transfer requirements.
(3) Nothing in this section requires the release or assignment of title upon the creation or termination of a leasehold interest for a vehicle that is proportionally registered under ORS 826.009 (Proportional registration of commercial vehicles) or 826.011 (Proportional fleet registration) if the department is furnished with satisfactory proof of the lease for such vehicle.
(4) The department by rule may allow odometer disclosure statements to be on a form other than the certificate of title.
(5) Persons subject to the provisions of this section shall provide to the transferee a title certificate, if one has been issued and is in their possession, the release or assignment of interest, and any required odometer disclosure statement. If an odometer disclosure statement is required, the transferee shall provide a signed disclosure to the transferor in a form determined by the department by rule. [1989 c.148 §2; 1991 c.67 §213; 1991 c.873 §13; 1993 c.233 §30; 2001 c.675 §10; 2003 c.655 §103; 2019 c.165 §29]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information