Definitions for ORS 757.542 to 757.562
As used in ORS 757.542 (Definitions for ORS 757.542 to 757.562) to 757.562 (Report to Legislative Assembly of center activities) and 757.993 (Penalty for violation of utility excavation notification provisions):
(1) “Business day” means any 24-hour day other than a Saturday, Sunday or federal or state legal holiday.
(2) “Damage” means harm to or destruction of underground facilities including, but not limited to, the weakening of structural, lateral or subjacent support; the penetration, impairment or destruction of any coating, housing or other protective device; and the denting of, penetration into or severance of underground facilities.
(3) “Excavation” means any operation in which earth, rock or other material on or below the ground is moved or otherwise displaced by any means, except sidewalk, road and ditch maintenance less than 12 inches in depth that does not lower the road grade or original ditch flow line. “Excavation” does not include the tilling of soil for agricultural purposes conducted on private property that is not within the boundaries of a recorded right of way or easement for underground facilities.
(4) “Excavator” means any person who engages in excavation.
(5) “Operator” means any person, public utility, municipal corporation, political subdivision of the state or other person with control over underground facilities.
(6) “Underground facilities” means items partially or entirely below the surface of the ground for use in connection with the storage or conveyance of electrical energy, water, sewage, petroleum products, gas, gaseous vapors or hazardous liquids, or the transmission of electronic, telephonic, telegraphic or cable communications. Such items include, but are not limited to, pipes, sewers, conduits, cables, valves, lines, wires, manholes, attachments and those parts of poles or anchors that are underground.
(7) “Unlocatable underground facilities” means underground facilities that cannot be marked with reasonable accuracy, including nonconductive sewers and nonmetallic underground facilities that have no trace wires. [1995 c.691 §1]
Note: 757.542 (Definitions for ORS 757.542 to 757.562) to 757.562 (Report to Legislative Assembly of center activities) were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 757 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information