Rate mitigation for certain electric company rate increases
(1) As used in this section, “electric company” has the meaning given that term in ORS 757.600 (Definitions for ORS 757.600 to 757.689).
(2) The Public Utility Commission shall require that an electric company mitigate a rate increase payable by a class of customers described in subsection (5) of this section if:
(a) The increase results from a transition to an electric company’s generally applicable cost-based rate from the rates established under the contracts described in subsection (5) of this section; and
(b) The increase in the cost of electricity to that class of customers by reason of the transition will exceed 50 percent during the first 12 calendar months after the transition occurs.
(3) The commission shall require an electric company to mitigate a rate increase under this section by means of a schedule of rate credits for the class of customers described in subsection (5) of this section. The rate credits provided by an electric company under the schedule shall automatically decrease each year to the lowest credit necessary to avoid a rate increase that is greater than 50 percent in any subsequent year. Rate credits under this section may not be provided for more than seven years after the transition occurs.
(4) For the purpose of determining the increase in the cost of electricity to a class of customers by reason of a transition described in subsection (2)(a) of this section, the commission shall:
(a) Include the total charges for electricity service, including all special charges and credits other than the rate credit provided under this section; and
(b) Exclude any local taxes or fees paid by the class of customers.
(5) This section applies only to customers of an electric company that purchase electricity at metering points that before the transition described in subsection (2)(a) of this section were eligible for rates that were set under contracts entered into before 1960 and remained unchanged throughout the period of the contract.
(6) The full cost of providing rate credits under this section shall be spread equally among all other customers of the electric company. [2005 c.594 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.