Duties of independent review organizations
- • expedited reviews
(1) An independent review organization shall perform the following duties when appointed under ORS 743B.252 (External review) to review a dispute under a health benefit plan between an insurer and an enrollee:
(a) Decide whether the dispute pertains to an adverse benefit determination and notify the enrollee and insurer in writing of the decision. If the decision is against the enrollee, the independent review organization shall notify the enrollee of the right to file a complaint with or seek other assistance from the Department of Consumer and Business Services and the availability of other assistance as specified by the department.
(b) Appoint a reviewer or reviewers as determined appropriate by the independent review organization.
(c) Notify the enrollee of information that the enrollee is required to provide and any additional information the enrollee may provide, and when the information must be submitted as provided in ORS 743B.252 (External review).
(d) Notify the insurer of additional information the independent review organization requires and when the information must be submitted as provided in ORS 743B.252 (External review).
(e) Decide the dispute relating to the adverse benefit determination of the insurer and issue the decision in writing.
(2) A decision by an independent review organization shall be based on expert medical judgment after consideration of the enrollee’s medical record, the recommendations of each of the enrollee’s providers, relevant medical, scientific and cost-effectiveness evidence and standards of medical practice in the United States. An independent review organization must make its decision in accordance with the coverage described in the health benefit plan, except that the independent review organization may override the insurer’s standards for medically necessary or experimental or investigational treatment if the independent review organization determines that the standards of the insurer are unreasonable or are inconsistent with sound medical practice.
(3) When review is expedited, the independent review organization shall issue a decision not later than the third day after the date on which the enrollee applies to the insurer for an expedited review or the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services orders an expedited review.
(4) When a review is not expedited, the independent review organization shall issue a decision not later than the 30th day after the enrollee applies to the insurer for a review or the director orders a review.
(5) An independent review organization shall file synopses of its decisions with the director according to the format and other requirements established by the director. The synopses shall exclude information that is confidential, that is otherwise exempt from disclosure under ORS 192.345 (Public records conditionally exempt from disclosure) and 192.355 (Public records exempt from disclosure) or that may otherwise allow identification of an enrollee. The director shall make the synopses public. [Formerly 743.862]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.