General requirements for health insurance policies
An individual health insurance policy must meet the following requirements:
(1) The policy must include a statement of the entire money and other considerations due.
(2) The policy must state the time at which the insurance takes effect and terminates.
(3) The policy may purport to insure only one person, unless an adult member of a family applies for coverage of family members or other dependents.
(4) The policy may not be issued individually to an individual in a group of persons described in ORS 731.098 ("Group health insurance") for the purpose of separating the individual from health insurance benefits offered or provided in connection with a group health benefit plan.
(5)(a) Except as provided in ORS 743.498 (Statement in policy of cancelability or renewability), the style, arrangement and overall appearance of the policy may not give undue prominence to any portion of the text, and every printed portion of the text of the policy and of any indorsements or attached papers shall be plainly printed in lightfaced type of a style in general use, the size of which shall be uniform and not less than 12-point type.
(b) As used in this subsection, "text" includes all printed matter except the name and address of the insurer, name or title of the policy, the brief description if any, and captions and subcaptions.
(6) The policy must state the exceptions and reductions of indemnity. Except those required by ORS 743.411 (Entire contract) to 743.477 (Illegal occupation), exceptions and reductions shall be printed at the insurer’s option either included with the applicable benefit provision or under an appropriate caption such as EXCEPTIONS, or EXCEPTIONS AND REDUCTIONS. However, if an exception or reduction specifically applies only to a particular benefit of the policy, a statement of the exception or reduction must be included with the applicable benefit provision.
(7) Each form constituting the policy, including riders and indorsements, must be identified by a form number in the lower left-hand corner of the first page of the policy.
(8) The policy may not contain provisions purporting to make any portion of the charter, rules, constitution or bylaws of the insurer a part of the policy unless such portion is set forth in full in the policy, except in the case of the incorporation of or reference to a statement of rates or classification of risks, or short rate table filed with the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services. [Formerly 741.120; 1999 c.987 §5; 2009 c.11 §94; 2011 c.9 §91; 2011 c.500 §6; 2013 c.681 §12]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.