Definitions for ORS 742.420 to 742.440
(1) “Discount medical plan” means a contract, agreement or other business arrangement between a discount medical plan organization and a plan member in which the organization, in exchange for fees, service or subscription charges, dues or other consideration, offers or purports to offer the plan member access to providers and the right to receive medical and ancillary services at a discount from providers.
(2) “Discount medical plan organization” means a person that contracts on behalf of plan members with a provider, a provider network or another discount medical plan organization for access to medical and ancillary services at a discounted rate and determines what plan members will pay as a fee, service or subscription charge, dues or other consideration for a discount medical plan.
(3) “Licensee” means a discount medical plan organization that has obtained a license from the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services in accordance with ORS 742.426 (License application).
(4) “Medical and ancillary services” means, except when administered by or under contract with the State of Oregon, any care, service, treatment or product provided for any dysfunction, injury or illness of the human body including, but not limited to, care provided by a physician, naturopathic physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner, inpatient care, hospital and surgical services, emergency and ambulance services, audiology services, dental care services, vision care services, mental health services, substance abuse counseling or treatment, chiropractic services, podiatric care services, laboratory services, home health care services, medical equipment and supplies or prescription drugs.
(5) “Plan member” means an individual who pays fees, service or subscription charges, dues or other consideration in exchange for the right to participate in a discount medical plan.
(6)(a) “Provider” means a person that has contracted or otherwise agreed with a discount medical plan organization to provide medical and ancillary services to plan members at a discount from the person’s ordinary or customary fees or charges.
(b) “Provider” does not include:
(A) A person that, apart from any agreement or contract with a discount medical plan organization, provides medical and ancillary services at a discount or at fixed or scheduled prices to patients or customers the person serves regularly; or
(B) A person that does not charge fees, service or subscription charges, dues or other consideration in exchange for providing medical and ancillary services at a discount or at fixed or scheduled prices.
(7) “Provider network” means a person that negotiates directly or indirectly with a discount medical plan organization on behalf of more than one provider that provides medical or ancillary services to plan members. [2007 c.272 §2; 2014 c.45 §75; 2017 c.356 §94]
Note: 742.420 (Definitions for ORS 742.420 to 742.440) to 742.440 (Injunction) were added to and made a part of the Insurance Code by legislative action but were not added to ORS chapter 742 or any series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.