Required association functions
- • assessments
(1) The Oregon FAIR Plan Association shall:
(a) Have authority on behalf of its members to arrange for the issuance of property insurance policies by service insurers and to reinsure any of those policies in whole or in part and to cede such reinsurance, subject to the plan.
(b) Assess member insurers the amounts necessary to pay the expenses incurred by the association in meeting its obligations and exercising its duties and powers under ORS 735.005 (Definitions for ORS 735.005 to 735.145) to 735.145 (Immunity from legal action in carrying out duties).
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3)(a) and (b) of this section, the assessment of each member insurer for a particular calendar year shall be in the proportion that the net direct written premiums of the member insurer for the second preceding calendar year bears to the net direct written premiums of all member insurers for the second preceding calendar year. Each member insurer shall be notified of an assessment not later than the 30th day before the day it is due. If the funds of the association do not provide in any one year an amount sufficient to pay the expenses of the association, the funds available shall be prorated among the expenses and the unpaid portion shall be paid as soon thereafter as funds become available. If an assessment would cause a member insurer’s financial statement to reflect an amount of surplus less than the minimum amount required for a certificate of authority by any jurisdiction in which the member insured is authorized to transact insurance, the association may, in whole or in part, exempt the member insurer from payment of the assessment or defer payments.
(3)(a) The maximum assessment of a member insurer for any calendar year shall be two percent of the insurer’s net direct written premiums for the second preceding calendar year.
(b) The minimum assessment of a member insurer for any calendar year shall be $50.
(4) Reimburse inspection bureaus, service insurers and employees of the association for expenses incurred in the inspection or insuring of property on behalf of the association, and pay all other expenses the association incurs in carrying out the provisions of ORS 735.005 (Definitions for ORS 735.005 to 735.145) to 735.145 (Immunity from legal action in carrying out duties).
(5) Undertake a continuing public education program in cooperation with member insurers and insurance producers to assure that the plan receives adequate attention.
(6) Undertake a continuing education program to advise the public of the steps which may be taken to make property more insurable against crime, personal liability and the perils named in ORS 735.005 (Definitions for ORS 735.005 to 735.145) (3). [1971 c.321 §8; 1979 c.818 §3; 2003 c.364 §89]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.