Definitions for ORS 732.517 to 732.596
(1) “Affiliate” means a person that directly or indirectly, through one or more intermediaries, controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with, another person.
(2) “Control” means possessing the direct or indirect power to manage a person or set the person’s policies, whether by owning voting securities, by contract other than a commercial contract for goods or nonmanagement services, or otherwise, unless the power is the result of an official position or corporate office the person holds.
(3) “Enterprise risk” means an activity, circumstance, event or series of events that involve one or more of an insurer’s affiliates and that, if not remedied promptly, are likely to have an adverse material effect on the insurer’s or the insurance holding company system’s financial condition or liquidity, including but not limited to an activity, circumstance, event or series of events that would cause the insurer’s risk-based capital to fall into company action level or cause the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services to determine under ORS 731.385 (Standards for determining whether continued operation of insurer is hazardous) that the insurer is in hazardous financial condition.
(4) “Group-wide supervisor” means a regulatory official that has the authority to conduct and coordinate supervisory activities for an internationally active insurance group under ORS 732.594 (Director’s determination or acknowledgment of appropriate group-wide supervisor for internationally active insurance group).
(5) “Insurance holding company system” means two or more affiliated persons, one or more of which is an insurer, and includes a financial holding company as described in section 103 of the federal Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (P.L. 106-102).
(6) “Insurer” has the meaning given that term in ORS 731.106 (“Insurer”) but does not include an agency, authority or instrumentality of the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, another state or a political subdivision of another state.
(7) “Internationally active insurance group” means an insurance holding company system that includes an insurer that is registered under ORS 732.551 (Registration of insurer members of holding company systems) and that:
(a) Writes premiums in three or more countries;
(b) Writes 10 percent or more of the insurance holding company system’s total gross written premiums outside the United States; and
(c) Has $50 billion or more of total assets, or $10 billion or more of total gross written premiums, based on a three-year rolling average.
(8)(a) “Person” means an individual, corporation, limited liability company, partnership, association, joint stock company, trust or unincorporated organization, or an entity or combination of entities similar to the entities described in this paragraph.
(b) “Person” does not include:
(A) A joint venture partnership that is engaged exclusively in owning, managing, leasing or developing real or tangible personal property; or
(B) For the purposes of ORS 732.518 (Definitions for ORS 732.517 to 732.546), 732.521 (Activities that are prohibited unless specified procedures followed), 732.523 (Procedure for acquiring controlling interest of capital stock), 732.526 (Hearing on proposed activity) and 732.528 (Approval of proposed activity), a securities broker that holds, in the usual and customary broker’s function, less than 20 percent of the voting securities of an insurer or of any person that controls an insurer.
(9) “Security holder” means a person that owns a security of another person, including a security denominated as common stock, preferred stock or a debt obligation and any instrument that is convertible into or that is evidence of the right to acquire the security of another person.
(10) “Subsidiary” means an affiliate that a person controls directly or indirectly through one or more intermediaries.
(11) “Voting security” means a security that entitles the owner or holder of the security to vote at a meeting of shareholders, including a security that is convertible into a voting security or that is evidence of a right to acquire a voting security. [Formerly 732.605; 2001 c.377 §38; 2013 c.370 §22; 2017 c.479 §10]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.