Members’ meetings and procedures of domestic mutual and reciprocal insurers
The following provisions shall apply to and govern meetings of members of a domestic mutual insurer and, to the extent applicable, meetings of subscribers of a domestic reciprocal insurer:
(1) Unless the notice of the meeting is by personal mail or delivery to the members, or as provided in subsection (5) of this section, the annual meeting, and all special meetings of members shall be held at or in the immediate vicinity of the home office of the insurer.
(2) In lieu of personal notice mailed or delivered to members, notice of the annual meeting or of a special meeting of members may be given by publishing a notice thereof once a week for two consecutive weeks in the newspaper with the largest general circulation in this state and, if the home office is located outside the city of such newspaper, then also in the newspaper with the largest general circulation published at or nearest the home office city of the insurer. The published notice shall state the time and place of the meeting and the matters to be presented and considered and, if a special meeting, shall also state the purpose for which it is called. The date of the first publication thereof shall be not less than 20 nor more than 50 days prior to the meeting date.
(3) A copy of the meeting notice mailed, delivered or published shall be mailed or delivered to the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services at least 20 days prior to the meeting date. The director may attend any such meeting.
(4) The date and time of the annual meeting shall be set forth in the bylaws. Such date and time and location of the home office of the insurer shall be set forth in the policy issued to the member or in a notice forwarded to the policyholder within 30 days after the issuance of the policy. If the date or time of such meeting is changed by amendment to the bylaws, which amendment may be adopted in the same manner as any other amendment to the bylaws, there shall be mailed or delivered to each member not less than 30 days before the date of the annual meeting, the date or time of which has been changed, a notice of the change thereof. Such a notice may be given by policy or policy indorsement or by a separate notice document.
(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (1) to (4) of this section, if the director finds, after inquiry and investigation, that the operations of an insurer are not financially sound or that its management is not acting in a sound and prudent manner for the benefit of the members or that certain practices and procedures of or involving the insurer’s operations or management ought to be presented to the members, the director may direct that the insurer call a special meeting for such purpose or that such matters be put on the agenda at an annual meeting. In such case, the director may further direct that notice of such meeting be given in the manner prescribed in ORS 60.214 (Notice of meeting). The notice shall also state that the special meeting is called, or that the particular matters are included on the agenda of the regular meeting, at the direction of the director.
(6) The members present in person or represented by proxy shall constitute a quorum at a duly called meeting of members. The affirmative vote of a majority of members voting on any matter presented at such meeting shall constitute the act of the members unless the voting of a greater number is required by law or the insurer’s articles of incorporation or bylaws. [1967 c.359 §193; 1971 c.231 §43; 1987 c.846 §9]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.