(1) The Department of Consumer and Business Services is created.
(2) The department shall be under the supervision and control of a director who shall be responsible for the functions of the department.
(3) Subject to confirmation by the Senate in the manner provided in ORS 171.562 (Procedures for confirmation) and 171.565 (Vote required for confirmation), the Governor shall appoint the director, who shall hold office at the pleasure of the Governor. The person appointed as director shall be well qualified by training and experience to perform the functions of the office.
(4) The director shall receive such salary as is provided by law or, if not so provided, as is fixed by the Governor.
(5) With respect to the duties, functions and powers imposed upon the director under the insurance laws, the director may be designated by the title of Insurance Commissioner or may appoint a person under ORS 705.115 (Department organization) to serve under the supervision and control of the director as Insurance Commissioner.
(6) Before entering upon the functions of office, the director shall give to the state a fidelity bond with one or more corporate sureties authorized to do business in this state, or an irrevocable letter of credit issued by an insured institution, as defined in ORS 706.008 (Additional definitions for Bank Act), in either case in the penal sum fixed by the Governor.
(7) The department shall have an official seal. Any certificate or other document or paper executed by the department pursuant to its authority and sealed with its seal, and all copies of papers certified by it and authenticated by the seal, shall in all cases be evidence equally and in like manner as the original and shall have the same force and effect as would the original in any suit or proceeding in any court in this state. [1987 c.373 §2; 1991 c.331 §108; 1993 c.744 §10; 1997 c.631 §526; 2003 c.802 §179]