Applicant required to be independent contractor to be eligible for license
- • classes of licenses
(1) An applicant must qualify as an independent contractor under ORS 670.600 (Independent contractor defined) to be eligible for a license with the Construction Contractors Board.
(2) The board shall establish two classes of independent contractor:
(a) The nonexempt class is composed of the following entities:
(A) Sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies:
(i) With one or more employees; or
(ii) That utilize one or more workers supplied by a worker leasing company.
(B) Partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies with more than two partners, corporate officers or members, if any of the partners, corporate officers or members are not part of the same family and related as parents, spouses, sisters, brothers, daughters or sons, daughters-in-law or sons-in-law or grandchildren.
(b) The exempt class is composed of all sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies that do not qualify as nonexempt.
(3) If a person who is licensed as exempt under subsection (2)(b) of this section hires one or more employees, utilizes one or more workers supplied by a worker leasing company or falls into any of the categories set out in subsection (2)(a)(B) of this section, the person is subject to penalties under ORS 701.992 (Civil penalties and other sanctions) for improper licensing. If a person who is licensed as exempt under subsection (2)(b) of this section hires one or more employees, or utilizes one or more workers supplied by a worker leasing company, the person is also subject to licensing sanctions under ORS 701.098 (Grounds for discipline). The person must reapply to the board in the correct class.
(4) The decision of the board that a person is an independent contractor applies only when the person is performing work of the nature described in ORS 701.021 (License requirement).
(5) A person that is within the exempt class described in subsection (2)(b) of this section and is licensed as a commercial contractor shall procure and maintain workers’ compensation insurance as authorized by ORS 656.128 (Sole proprietors, limited liability company members, partners, independent contractors may elect coverage by insurer). [1989 c.870 §4; 1995 c.216 §1; 1999 c.402 §13; 2007 c.836 §15; 2009 c.408 §§2,3; 2013 c.300 §10]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.