Respiratory Therapist and Polysomnographic Technologist Licensing Board
- • qualification of members
- • terms
- • compensation
(1) There is established within the Health Licensing Office the Respiratory Therapist and Polysomnographic Technologist Licensing Board. The board consists of seven members appointed by the Governor and subject to confirmation by the Senate in the manner provided in ORS 171.562 (Procedures for confirmation) and 171.565 (Vote required for confirmation). All members of the board must be residents of this state.
(2) Of the members of the board:
(a) Three must be respiratory care practitioners;
(b) Two must be individuals who practice polysomnography;
(c) One must be a qualified medical director for polysomnography or for respiratory care; and
(d) One must be a member of the general public.
(3) Board members required to be respiratory care practitioners or individuals who practice polysomnography must have engaged in the practice of respiratory care or polysomnography for a period of five or more years immediately preceding appointment to the board.
(4)(a) Board members may be selected by the Governor from a list of three to five nominees for each vacancy, submitted by the Oregon Society for Respiratory Care or another professional organization representing respiratory care practitioners or polysomnographic technologists.
(b) In selecting the members of the board, the Governor shall strive to balance the representation on the board according to:
(A) Geographic areas of this state; and
(B) Ethnic group.
(5)(a) The term of office of each member of the board is four years, but a member serves at the pleasure of the Governor. The terms must be staggered so that no more than two terms end each year. Vacancies shall be filled by the Governor by appointment for the unexpired term. A member shall hold the member’s office until the appointment and qualification of a successor. A member is eligible for reappointment. If a person serves two consecutive full terms, a period of at least four years must elapse before the person is again eligible for appointment to serve on the board.
(b) A board member shall be removed immediately from the board if, during the member’s term, the member:
(A) Is not a resident of this state;
(B) Has been absent from three consecutive board meetings, unless at least one absence is excused;
(C) Is not a respiratory care practitioner or a retired respiratory care practitioner whose license was in good standing at the time of retirement, if the member was appointed to serve as a respiratory care practitioner; or
(D) Is not an individual who practices polysomnography, if the member was appointed to serve as an individual who practices polysomnography.
(6) A member of the board is entitled to compensation and expenses as provided in ORS 292.495 (Compensation and expenses of members of state boards and commissions). The office may provide by rule for compensation to board members for the performance of official duties at a rate that is greater than the rate provided in ORS 292.495 (Compensation and expenses of members of state boards and commissions). [1997 c.792 §2; 1999 c.885 §33; 2005 c.648 §44; 2009 c.535 §28; 2009 c.701 §28a; 2011 c.715 §10; 2013 c.568 §71]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.