(1) Board means the State Board of Massage Therapists.
(2) Certified class means a class that is approved by the board and is offered:
(a) By a person or institution licensed as a career school under ORS 345.010 (Definitions for ORS 345.010 to 345.450 and 345.992 to 345.997) to 345.450 (Annual inspection fee);
(b) By a community college and approved by the Higher Education Coordinating Commission;
(c) By an accredited college or university; or
(d) In another state and licensed or approved by the appropriate agency in that state.
(3) Manual means the use of the hands, feet or any other part of the body in the performance of massage.
(4)(a) Massage, massage therapy or bodywork means the use of pressure, friction, stroking, tapping or kneading on the human body, or the use of vibration or stretching on the human body by manual or mechanical means or gymnastics, with or without appliances such as vibrators, infrared heat, sun lamps or external baths, and with or without lubricants such as salts, powders, liquids or creams, for the purpose of, but not limited to, maintaining good health and establishing and maintaining good physical condition.
(b) Massage, massage therapy and bodywork do not include the use of high-velocity, short-amplitude manipulative thrusting procedures to the articulations of the spine or extremities.
(5)(a) Massage facility means a facility where a person engages in the practice of massage.
(b) Massage facility does not include:
(A) A career school licensed under ORS 345.010 (Definitions for ORS 345.010 to 345.450 and 345.992 to 345.997) to 345.450 (Annual inspection fee);
(B) An accredited college or university or a community college operated under ORS chapter 341; or
(C) A clinic or facility owned or operated by a person authorized to practice a profession by a health professional regulatory board, as defined in ORS 676.160 (Definitions for ORS 676.165 to 676.180).
(7) Practice of massage means the performance of massage:
(a) For purposes other than sexual contact, as defined in ORS 167.002 (Definitions for ORS 167.002 to 167.027) (5); and
(b) For compensation.
(8) Preceptor means a licensed massage therapist who contracts with an approved school or program of massage to provide direct on-site clinical supervision of a student enrolled in a certified class.
(9) Supervision means:
(a) The process of overseeing and directing the training of students enrolled in a certified class as set forth in the rules of the board;
(b) The process of overseeing and directing a licensee, or a person that has a permit to operate a massage facility, who is being disciplined by the board; or
(c) Voluntary consultation with, and education of, less experienced licensed massage therapists or practitioners in related fields.
(10) Unprofessional or dishonorable conduct means a behavior, practice or condition that is contrary to the ethical standards adopted by the board. [1955 c.492 §1; 1977 c.507 §1; 1979 c.89 §1; 1985 c.82 §1; 1987 c.158 §144; 1989 c.841 §1; 1993 c.45 §295; 1995 c.343 §60; 1997 c.626 §2; 1999 c.39 §9; 1999 c.537 §5; 2011 c.103 §1; 2013 c.409 §1; 2013 c.747 §183; 2015 c.491 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information