Powers and duties of board
- • rules
The powers and duties of the Oregon Board of Optometry are as follows:
(1) To organize and elect from its membership a president and vice president of the board, each of whom shall hold office for one year, or until the election and qualification of a successor.
(2) To adopt and use a common seal.
(3) To employ agents and inspectors to secure evidence of and report on all violations of this chapter and to employ other necessary assistance in the carrying out of the provisions of this chapter, and to pay the same from the funds provided in ORS 683.010 (Definitions for ORS 683.010 to 683.310) to 683.340 (Duty to report prohibited conduct).
(4) To hold regular meetings at least once a year at which an examination of applicants for licenses shall be held at such places as the board shall from time to time designate, and special meetings upon request of a majority of the members of the board or upon the call of the president.
(5) To keep an accurate record of all proceedings of the board and of all of its meetings, of all prosecutions for violations of ORS 683.010 (Definitions for ORS 683.010 to 683.310) to 683.340 (Duty to report prohibited conduct), and of all examinations held for applicants for licenses, with the names and addresses of all persons taking examinations and their success or failure to pass such examinations. All the records of the board shall be public and shall be kept in the office of the board.
(6) To keep an accurate inventory of all property of the board and of the state in the possession of the board and to obtain a receipt therefor from its successor.
(7) To keep a register of optometrists which shall contain the names and addresses of all persons to whom licenses have been issued in the State of Oregon, together with the date of the issuance of the license and the place or places of business in which each optometrist is engaged, and all renewals, revocations and suspensions thereof.
(8) To grant or refuse to grant licenses as provided in ORS 683.010 (Definitions for ORS 683.010 to 683.310) to 683.340 (Duty to report prohibited conduct) and to impose any of the sanctions for any of the causes specified in ORS 683.140 (Grounds for and nature of discipline).
(9) To administer oaths and take testimony upon granting and revoking or suspending any certificate of registration or any other certificate established by the board for the protection of the public.
(10) To designate pharmaceutical agents for topical use in the practice of optometry with the advice and guidance of the Oregon Medical Board.
(11) To adopt rules not inconsistent with the laws of this state as are necessary or proper to carry out the lawful powers and duties of the board, as may be necessary or proper to establish license fees and license terms or duration, to determine the qualifications of applicants for a license and of licensees to practice optometry in this state, and to establish educational and professional standards for such applicants, subject to the laws of this state. If an applicant fails to pass a second examination the board may adopt rules which may provide the required courses of study before further examination. [Amended by 1953 c.599 §2; 1955 c.120 §3; 1963 c.78 §1; 1967 c.22 §2; 1973 c.829 §65; 1975 c.175 §4; 1983 c.389 §4; 1985 c.103 §9; 1987 c.443 §13; 1989 c.443 §2; 1991 c.904 §5; 1991 c.967 §4; 1993 c.816 §1; 1997 c.630 §3; 2001 c.632 §4; 2007 c.818 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.