Compilation of data on expanded practice dental hygienists
- • reports by health insurers
- • report to legislature
- • rules
(1) The Oregon Board of Dentistry shall compile data, including baseline data, in every odd-numbered year on the use of expanded practice dental hygienists, as defined in ORS 679.010 (Definitions), in this state.
(2)(a) The Department of Consumer and Business Services shall adopt rules requiring health insurers to report to the department on the reimbursement of services provided by expanded practice dental hygienists.
(b) The department shall provide the information collected under paragraph (a) of this subsection to the board.
(3) The board shall report to an interim legislative committee related to dental health on the reimbursement of services provided by expanded practice dental hygienists on or before October 1 of each even-numbered year. [2011 c.716 §12]
Note: 680.210 (Compilation of data on expanded practice dental hygienists) was enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but was not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 680 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
Note: Sections 1 and 17, chapter 716, Oregon Laws 2011, provide:
Sec. 1. (1) The Oregon Health Authority may approve pilot projects to encourage the development of innovative practices in oral health care delivery systems with a focus on providing care to populations that evidence-based studies have shown have the highest disease rates and the least access to dental care. The authority may approve a pilot project that is designed to:
(a) Operate for three to five years or a sufficient amount of time to evaluate the validity of the pilot project;
(b) Evaluate quality of care, access, cost, workforce and efficacy; and
(c) Achieve at least one of the following:
(A) Teach new skills to existing categories of dental personnel;
(B) Develop new categories of dental personnel;
(C) Accelerate the training of existing categories of dental personnel; or
(D) Teach new oral health care roles to previously untrained persons.
(2) The authority shall adopt rules:
(a) Establishing an application process for pilot projects;
(b) Establishing minimum standards, guidelines and instructions for pilot projects; and
(c) Requiring an approved pilot project to report to the authority on the progress and outcomes of the pilot project, including:
(A) The process used to evaluate the progress and outcomes of the pilot project;
(B) The baseline data and information to be collected;
(C) The nature of program data that will be collected and the methods for collecting and analyzing the data;
(D) The provisions for protecting the safety of patients seen or treated in the project; and
(E) A statement of previous experience in providing related health care services.
(3) The authority shall seek the advice of appropriate professional societies and licensing boards before adopting rules under subsection (2) of this section.
(4)(a) Notwithstanding ORS 679.020 (Practice of dentistry or operating dental office without license prohibited) and 680.020 (Practice of dental hygiene without license prohibited), a person may practice dentistry or dental hygiene without a license as part of a pilot project approved under this section under the general supervision of a dentist licensed under ORS chapter 679 and in accordance with rules adopted by the authority.
(b) A person practicing dentistry or dental hygiene without a license under this section is subject to the same standard of care and is entitled to the same immunities as a person performing the services with a license.
(5) The authority may accept gifts, grants or contributions from any public or private source for the purpose of carrying out this section. Funds received under this subsection shall be deposited in the Dental Pilot Projects Fund established under section 17 of this 2011 Act. [2011 c.716 §1]
Sec. 17. The Dental Pilot Projects Fund is established in the State Treasury, separate and distinct from the General Fund. Interest earned by the Dental Pilot Projects Fund shall be credited to the fund. Moneys in the fund are continuously appropriated to the Oregon Health Authority for the purposes of carrying out the provisions of section 1, chapter 716, Oregon Laws 2011. [2011 c.716 §17; 2013 c.113 §2]
Note: Section 2, chapter 842, Oregon Laws 2015, provides:
Sec. 2. A provider of dental services in a dental pilot project approved by the Oregon Health Authority pursuant to section 1, chapter 716, Oregon Laws 2011, is eligible to be reimbursed for covered services provided to a recipient of medical assistance. [2015 c.842 §2]
Note: Section 2, chapter 716, Oregon Laws 2011, provides:
Sec. 2. (1) Section 1, chapter 716, Oregon Laws 2011, is repealed on January 2, 2025.
(2) Section 17, chapter 716, Oregon Laws 2011, as amended by section 2, chapter 113, Oregon Laws 2013, is repealed January 2, 2025.
(3) Section 2 of this 2015 Act [section 2, chapter 842, Oregon Laws 2015] is repealed on January 2, 2025. [2011 c.716 §2; 2015 c.842 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.