(1) Dental assistant means a person who, under the supervision of a dentist, renders assistance to a dentist, dental hygienist, dental technician or another dental assistant or who, under the supervision of a dental hygienist, renders assistance to a dental hygienist providing dental hygiene.
(2) Dental hygiene is that portion of dentistry that includes, but is not limited to:
(a) The rendering of educational, preventive and therapeutic dental services and diagnosis and treatment planning for such services;
(b) Prediagnostic risk assessment, scaling, root planing, curettage, the application of sealants and fluoride and any related intraoral or extraoral procedure required in the performance of such services; and
(c) Prescribing, dispensing and administering prescription drugs for the services described in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this subsection.
(3) Dental hygienist means a person who, under the supervision of a dentist, practices dental hygiene.
(4) Dental technician means a person who, at the authorization of a dentist, makes, provides, repairs or alters oral prosthetic appliances and other artificial materials and devices that are returned to a dentist and inserted into the human oral cavity or that come in contact with its adjacent structures and tissues.
(5) Dentist means a person who may perform any intraoral or extraoral procedure required in the practice of dentistry.
(6) Dentist of record means a dentist that either authorizes treatment for, supervises treatment of or provides treatment for a patient in a dental office or clinic owned or operated by an institution as described in ORS 679.020 (Practice of dentistry or operating dental office without license prohibited) (3).
(7)(a) Dentistry means the healing art concerned with:
(A) The examination, diagnosis, treatment planning, treatment, care and prevention of conditions within the human oral cavity and maxillofacial region, and of conditions of adjacent or related tissues and structures; and
(B) The prescribing, dispensing and administering of prescription drugs for purposes related to the activities described in subparagraph (A) of this paragraph.
(b) Dentistry includes, but is not limited to:
(A) The cutting, altering, repairing, removing, replacing or repositioning of hard or soft tissues and other acts or procedures as determined by the Oregon Board of Dentistry and included in the curricula of:
(i) Dental schools accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association;
(ii) Post-graduate training programs; or
(iii) Continuing education courses.
(B) The prescription and administration of vaccines.
(8) Direct supervision means supervision requiring that a dentist diagnose the condition to be treated, that a dentist authorize the procedure to be performed, and that a dentist remain in the dental treatment room while the procedures are performed.
(9) Expanded practice dental hygienist means a dental hygienist who performs dental hygiene services in accordance with ORS 680.205 (Services rendered under permit) as authorized by an expanded practice dental hygienist permit issued by the board under ORS 680.200 (Issuing expanded practice permit).
(10) General supervision means supervision requiring that a dentist authorize the procedures by standing orders, practice agreements or collaboration agreements, but not requiring that a dentist be present when the authorized procedures are performed. The authorized procedures may also be performed at a place other than the usual place of practice of the dentist.
(11) Indirect supervision means supervision requiring that a dentist authorize the procedures and that a dentist be on the premises while the procedures are performed. [Amended by 1983 c.169 §1; 1997 c.251 §4; 1999 c.188 §1; 2003 c.83 §1; 2005 c.52 §2; 2007 c.379 §1; 2011 c.716 §3; 2013 c.310 §1; 2015 c.15 §1; 2015 c.349 §1; 2019 c.58 §4]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information