2015 ORS § 660.343¹
Oregon National Career Readiness Certification Program
- • rules
- • annual report
(1) There is created in the Office of Community Colleges and Workforce Development the Oregon National Career Readiness Certification Program to certify the workplace and college readiness skills of Oregonians and to better prepare Oregonians for continued education and workforce training, successful employment and career advancement in a demand-driven, skills-based economy.
(2) Program services may be offered through public high schools, community colleges, local and regional career centers and any other institutions determined to be appropriate by the office to residents of Oregon and to employees of businesses located in Oregon.
(3) Services provided by the program shall include, but are not limited to:
(a) An assessment process that identifies the proficiency level of program participants in work-ready skills including, but not limited to, reading, applied mathematics, locating information and any additional skills determined by the office to be necessary to meet business and industry skill demands;
(b) Targeted instruction and remedial skills training to provide work-ready skills in which program participants are not proficient, as determined by the assessment process described in paragraph (a) of this subsection, and that have been identified by the office as work-ready skills required by local employers;
(c) Issuance of a National Career Readiness Certificate to program participants who demonstrate proficiency in work-ready skills, as determined by the assessment process described in paragraph (a) of this subsection, and who satisfy any other requirements for certification adopted by the office by rule;
(d) Providing information to school districts, community colleges and community college service districts about the National Career Readiness Certificate and the assessments, targeted instruction and remedial skills training available through the program; and
(e) An online database that:
(A) Serves as the repository for National Career Readiness Certificate attainment data.
(B) Provides online access to program data that enables employers to determine the work skill proficiency level of individual program participants and to locate certified individuals on a statewide or regional basis.
(C) Provides individual program participants the opportunity for career exploration, continuing education, job readiness practice and job searches.
(D) Provides individual program participants the opportunity to opt out of the database in accordance with rules adopted by the office.
(4) The Office of Community Colleges and Workforce Development, after consultation with the Higher Education Coordinating Commission, the State Workforce Investment Board and the Department of Education, shall adopt rules for the implementation and administration of the program created under subsection (1) of this section.
(5) By September 1 of each year, school districts, community colleges and community college service districts shall report to the Office of Community Colleges and Workforce Development the rate of participation in and the total number of students enrolled in the district or community college who utilized the services provided by the program in the most recently concluded school year.
(6) The Office of Community Colleges and Workforce Development shall submit a report on program outcomes and recommendations for improving and funding the program to the appropriate interim legislative committees and to the Governor by December 1 of each year. The report shall include a summary of the information required under subsection (5) of this section. [2009 c.836 §2; 2011 c.148 §1; 2013 c.747 §192; 2015 c.366 §63]