Continuance of permanent partial disability payments to survivors
- • effect of death prior to final claim disposition
(1) In case of the death of a worker entitled to compensation, whether eligibility therefor or the amount thereof has been determined, payments shall be made for the period during which the worker, if surviving, would have been entitled thereto.
(2) If the worker’s death occurs prior to issuance of a notice of closure under ORS 656.268 (Claim closure), the insurer or the self-insured employer shall determine compensation for permanent partial disability, if any.
(3) If the worker has filed a request for hearing pursuant to ORS 656.283 (Hearing rights and procedure) or a request for reconsideration pursuant to ORS 656.268 (Claim closure) and death occurs prior to the final disposition of the request, the persons described in subsection (5) of this section shall be entitled to pursue the matter to final determination of all issues presented by the request.
(4) If the worker dies before filing a request for hearing or a request for reconsideration, the persons described in subsection (5) of this section shall be entitled to file a request for hearing or a request for reconsideration and to pursue the matter to final determination as to all issues presented by the request.
(5) The payments provided in this section shall be made to the persons who would have been entitled to receive death benefits if the injury causing the disability had been fatal. In the absence of persons so entitled, the unpaid balance of the award shall be paid to the worker’s estate.
(6) This section does not entitle any person to double payments on account of the death of a worker and a continuation of payments for permanent partial disability, or to a greater sum in the aggregate than if the injury had been fatal. [Amended by 1959 c.450 §3; 1973 c.355 §1; 1975 c.497 §3; 1981 c.854 §11; 1987 c.884 §16; 1999 c.313 §4; 2009 c.171 §2; 2015 c.144 §2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.