Federal inspections of employee verification records
- • employer to provide employees with advance notice of inspection
(1) As used in this section and ORS 652.753 (Commissioner of Bureau of Labor and Industries to generate notice template for employers), “employee” and “employer” have the meanings given those terms in ORS 652.210 (Definitions for ORS 652.210 to 652.235).
(2) Unless prohibited by federal law, an employer shall, within three business days of receiving a notice of an inspection from a federal agency compelling the employer to provide access to records of forms and any other documentation used by the employer to verify the identity and employment eligibility of the employees hired by the employer, notify the employer’s employees of the upcoming inspection.
(3) The employer shall notify employees of an upcoming inspection by:
(a) Posting a notice in a conspicuous and accessible location, in English and in the language the employer typically uses to communicate with the employees; and
(b) Making reasonable attempts to individually distribute notifications to employees in the employee’s preferred language.
(4) The notice shall include:
(a) A copy of the federal agency’s notice of inspection received by the employer;
(b) The date of the inspection;
(c) To the extent the employer knows, the scope of the federal agency’s inspection;
(d) The employer’s obligations with respect to providing information within the scope of the federal agency’s notice of inspection; and
(e) A telephone number, prescribed by the Bureau of Labor and Industries, for a hotline operated by an organization that provides information and advocacy related to immigrant and refugee workers’ rights. [2019 c.260 §1]
Note: 652.752 (Federal inspections of employee verification records) and 652.753 (Commissioner of Bureau of Labor and Industries to generate notice template for employers) were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 652 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information