As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Brand” means a distinctive design, mark or other means of identification applied to a designated location of the hide, wool or skin of livestock, by methods prescribed by administrative rule of the State Department of Agriculture promulgated pursuant to ORS chapter 183.
(2) “Brand inspection” means the department’s:
(a) Examination of the brands, tags, breed, flesh marks including dewlaps and wattles, earmarks, coloring, sex, age or other distinguishing characteristics of livestock;
(b) Examination of documents and other evidence of ownership or right to possession of livestock; and
(c) Issuance or refusal to issue a brand inspection certificate.
(3) “Brand inspection certificate” means a document issued by the department that is valid for eight days, unless otherwise specified therein, and that includes:
(a) The date and place of issuance;
(b) The quantity of livestock inspected and a description of the distinguishing characteristics of hides or of livestock examined, including brands, tags, breed and sex;
(c) The name and address of the person to whom issued and the name and address of the owner;
(d) If the livestock are to be transported, the destination;
(e) A statement of any limitation on the use of the certificate, or on its period of validity; and
(f) A signed certification of the department’s brand inspector that the brand inspector has examined the described hides or livestock and documents associated therewith and that to the best of the inspector’s knowledge the hides or livestock are owned or in the lawful possession of the person presenting the hides or livestock for brand inspection.
(4) “Custom slaughtering establishment” shall have the meaning set forth in ORS 603.010 (Definitions).
(5) “Department” means the State Department of Agriculture.
(6) “Document of title” shall have the meaning set forth in ORS 71.2010 (General definitions).
(7) “Equidae” means a horse, mule or ass.
(8) “Livestock” means cattle, Equidae, sheep and any other animals designated by the administrative rule of the department.
(9) “Livestock auction market” shall have the meaning set forth in ORS 599.205 (Definitions).
(10) “Livestock carrier” means the person who transports livestock by rail, motor vehicle, boat, aircraft or on the hoof, either as a common carrier who is available to the public to perform this service for compensation, as a contract carrier who enters into agreements with specific individuals to perform this service for compensation, or as a private carrier who performs this service without compensation as an owner, lessee or bailee of livestock.
(11) “Slaughterhouse” shall have the meaning set forth in ORS 603.010 (Definitions). [1981 c.248 §2; 1991 c.660 §1; 2007 c.229 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.