Restriction on transfer of shares and other securities
(1) The articles of incorporation, bylaws, agreements among shareholders or agreements between shareholders and the corporation may impose restrictions on the transfer or registration of transfer of shares of the corporation. A restriction does not affect shares issued before the restriction was adopted unless the holders of the shares are parties to the restriction agreement or voted in favor of the restriction.
(2) A restriction on the transfer or registration of transfer of shares is valid and enforceable against the holder or a transferee of the holder if the restriction is authorized by this section and its existence is noted conspicuously on the front or back of the certificate or is contained in the information statement required by ORS 60.164 (Shares without certificates) (2). Unless so noted, a restriction is not enforceable against a person who has no knowledge of the restriction.
(3) A restriction on the transfer or registration of transfer of shares is authorized:
(a) To maintain the corporation’s status when it is dependent on the number or identity of its shareholders;
(b) To preserve exemptions under federal or state securities law; or
(c) For any other reasonable purpose.
(4) A restriction on the transfer or registration of transfer of shares may:
(a) Obligate the shareholder first to offer the corporation or other persons, separately, consecutively or simultaneously an opportunity to acquire the restricted shares;
(b) Obligate the corporation or other persons, separately, consecutively or simultaneously to acquire the restricted shares;
(c) Require the corporation, the holders of any class of its shares or another person to approve the transfer of the restricted shares if the requirement is not manifestly unreasonable; or
(d) Prohibit the transfer of the restricted shares to designated persons or classes of persons, if the prohibition is not manifestly unreasonable.
(5) For purposes of this section, “shares” includes a security convertible into or carrying a right to subscribe for or acquire shares. [1987 c.52 §44]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.