Appointment of temporary members
- • rules
- • appointment of commissioners
- • commissioner qualifications
- • compensation
(1) Upon the establishment of a commodity commission, the Director of Agriculture shall appoint five temporary members to the commission. In appointing the temporary members, the director shall give consideration to any recommendations by other commodity commissions, commodity growers and commodity grower associations. A majority of the temporary members must be producers of the commodity that is the subject of the commission and at least one member must be a handler of the commodity.
(2) The temporary members shall adopt rules for the commission in accordance with ORS chapter 183, including but not limited to rules establishing the number and geographic representation of the commissioners and rules providing for the removal of commissioners. The terms of the temporary members expire on the date that one or more commissioners are appointed under subsection (3) of this section. A qualified temporary member is eligible for appointment to a term on the commission under subsection (3) of this section.
(3) Except as provided in ORS 576.225 (Qualifications of members) (3), the director shall appoint the commissioners for a commodity commission in accordance with the rules adopted under subsection (2) of this section. In appointing the commissioners, the director shall give consideration to any recommendations by other commodity commissions, commodity growers and commodity grower associations.
(4) A majority of the commissioners must be producers of the commodity that is the subject of the commission. At least one commissioner must be a handler of the commodity. One commissioner must be a member of the public not associated with the production or handling of the commodity. All commissioners other than handlers and the member of the public must be producers.
(5) The term of a commissioner appointed under subsection (3) of this section is four years unless a shorter term is established by commission rule. A commissioner is eligible for reappointment unless otherwise provided by commission rule. Before the expiration of a commissioner’s term, the director shall appoint a successor to assume office upon expiration of the term. If there is a vacancy on a commission for any cause, the director shall appoint a person to the unexpired term.
(6) The commission shall select one member to serve as chairperson and another member to serve as vice chairperson, with such duties and powers as the commission deems appropriate to those offices.
(7) A temporary member of a commission or a commissioner is entitled to compensation and expenses in the manner and amounts provided in ORS 292.495 (Compensation and expenses of members of state boards and commissions). Claims for compensation earned and expenses incurred in performing the functions of the commission shall be paid out of funds available to the commission. [2003 c.604 §4 (enacted in lieu of 576.205); 2003 c.604 §5; 2007 c.55 §2; 2013 c.90 §2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.