Working land conservation covenants and easements
- • requirements
(1) An owner of working land may enter into a working land conservation covenant with or grant a working land conservation easement to an organization that is a holder, as defined in ORS 271.715 (Definitions for ORS 271.715 to 271.795), other than a state agency. The covenant or easement must be for the purpose of ensuring the continued use of the land for agricultural purposes while maintaining or enhancing fish or wildlife habitat, improving water quality or supporting other natural resource values on the land. A working land conservation covenant must be for a term of years that is established as permissible in Oregon Agricultural Heritage Commission rules.
(2) In addition to the purposes required under subsection (1) of this section, a working land conservation covenant or working land conservation easement may provide for carrying out any purposes of a conservation easement, as defined in ORS 271.715 (Definitions for ORS 271.715 to 271.795). The covenant or easement must provide for carrying out those additional purposes in a manner consistent with ORS 271.715 (Definitions for ORS 271.715 to 271.795) to 271.795 (Construction of Act).
(3) A working land conservation covenant or working land conservation easement must:
(a) Provide for regular monitoring by the organization accepting the covenant or easement to ensure that the owner of the working land is adhering to the covenant or easement provisions; and
(b) If identical in duration to a conservation management plan for the working land, refer to the conservation management plan in the text of the covenant or easement.
(4) An organization that enters into, or proposes to enter into, a working land conservation covenant or accept a working land conservation easement may apply to the Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board for a grant to fund the purchasing, implementing, carrying out or monitoring of the covenant or easement.
(5) An application under subsection (4) of this section may be combined with an application under ORS 541.981 (Conservation management plans for working lands) for a grant to fund a conservation management plan associated with the working land conservation covenant or working land conservation easement. [2017 c.716 §5]
Note: See note under 541.977 (Definitions for ORS 541.977 to 541.989).
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.