Extension of irrigation season
- • rules
- • limitations
(1) Notwithstanding any condition or limitation of a water right permit issued under ORS 537.211 (Issuance of permit if application approved) or 537.625 (Final order) or a water right certificate issued under ORS 537.250 (Water right certificate), 537.630 (Time allowed for construction work under permit) or 539.140 (Water right certificates), upon receipt of a request by the State Department of Agriculture, the Water Resources Commission may, by rule, extend the irrigation season of a subbasin beyond the period established by adjudication, by rule or by condition imposed on a permit or certificate, if the commission finds:
(a) Water is available during the period of the extended irrigation season;
(b) Water use during the extended season would not impair in-stream flows that are necessary to protect aquatic resources; and
(c) Water diversion and use during the period of the extended season would not impair the achievement or maintenance of water quality standards as established for the water source by the Department of Environmental Quality.
(2) If the source of water identified in the request is stored water and water is available from the storage source during the period of the extended irrigation season, the commission may extend the irrigation season as requested without making the findings required by subsection (1) of this section. However, use of water during the extended period shall be limited to the stored water.
(3) In order to ensure that use of water during an extended irrigation season does not injure existing and future water rights, use of water during the extended period of the irrigation season shall be subordinated to all existing and future water rights.
(4) Use of water during the extended irrigation season shall comply with all conditions and limitations of the permit or certificate, including the rate, duty and place of use of the right.
(5) Use of water shall be regulated among irrigators for whom the season has been extended during the extended irrigation season according to the priority date of the permit or certificate. [1995 c.356 §1; 2007 c.187 §1]
Note: 537.385 (Extension of irrigation season) was enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but was not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 537 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.