Full or partial assignment of water right permit
- • issuance of replacement permits
(1) Notwithstanding ORS 537.220 (Assignment of application, permit or license) and 537.635 (Assignment of application, certificate of registration or permit), except as provided in subsection (6) of this section, a record landowner holding a water right permit for an irrigation, nursery, temperature control, stock watering or agricultural water use that has a subsequent completion date may apply for assignment of all or part of the water right permit and for the issuance of a replacement water right permit that reflects that assignment. To obtain the assignment and replacement water right permits, the applicant shall submit an application to the Water Resources Department that includes, at a minimum:
(a) A map prepared by a certified water right examiner and meeting department mapping standards that identifies the authorized place of use, rate of use, any applicable acre-feet allowances, tax lots and points of diversion or appropriation;
(b) A copy of the deed showing that the applicant is an owner of the land;
(c) An affidavit certifying that the water right has not been conveyed or withheld;
(d) A statement by the applicant that the most recent water use under the permit, if any, has been exercised within relevant terms and conditions of the permit; and
(e)(A) Agreements to the assignment and to the request for the issuance of replacement water right permits submitted jointly or individually by all owners of the land to which the water right is appurtenant; or
(B) An assignment of interest and request for the issuance of replacement water right permits submitted by one or more of the owners of land to which the water right is appurtenant and information identifying the names, addresses and proportionate interests for those owners not submitting the assignment and request.
(2) In addition to the application contents described in subsection (1) of this section, the department may require that the applicant provide any additional information the department deems appropriate to determining whether to approve the application.
(3) Upon receiving an application under subsection (1) of this section, the department shall determine and notify the applicant of the fees payable under ORS 536.050 (Fees) for processing the application. Upon receipt of the appropriate processing fees, the department shall:
(a) Verify the address of each owner of the lands identified on the map contained in the application;
(b) Verify that the deed supplied with the application matches the property proposed for assignment;
(c) Prepare a statement that the proposed replacement water right permits will not result in the enlargement of the original water right, a proposed final order and drafts of replacement water right permits;
(d) No later than one week prior to the date of the weekly notice described in paragraph (e) of this subsection, mail copies of the application, the map, the existing water right permit, the proposed final order and the draft replacement water right permits to each owner of land to which the existing water right is appurtenant; and
(e) Provide public notice of the application in the weekly notice published by the department.
(4) The department shall allow comment on the application for 30 days following public notice of the application in the weekly notice published by the department. Any protest against the proposed final order must be submitted no later than 45 days after the date of the weekly notice published by the department. A protest must be filed in the manner provided in ORS 537.227 (Protest of application to assign all or part of water right permit).
(5) If the department determines that an application under subsection (1) of this section to assign all or part of a water right permit has been properly filed, and that the issuance of replacement water right permits will not result in the enlargement of the original water right or otherwise cause injury to other water right holders, the department shall issue one or more replacement water right permits to reflect the assignment. The replacement water right permits:
(a) Must have the same conditions as the replaced water right permit, including but not limited to priority date, source of water and type of use;
(b) May not add or change a point of diversion or point of appropriation;
(c) May not result in the enlargement of the water use authorized under the replaced water right permit;
(d) Must apportion the rate, and if applicable the duty, in proportion to the amount of land to which the water right is appurtenant; and
(e) Must identify the land to which the replacement water right permit is appurtenant and the owner of that land.
(6) This section does not apply to municipal or quasi-municipal permits or to permits held by a unit of local government, including but not limited to permits held by a port or water authority or a district. As used in this subsection, “unit of local government” has the meaning given that term in ORS 190.003 (Definition for ORS 190.003 to 190.130) and “district” has the meaning given that term in ORS 540.505 (Definitions). [2013 c.166 §2]
Note: 537.225 (Full or partial assignment of water right permit) and 537.227 (Protest of application to assign all or part of water right permit) were added to and made a part of ORS chapter 537 by legislative action but were not added to any smaller series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.