As used in the wildlife laws, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) "Angle" means to take or attempt to take a fish for personal use by means involving hook and line.
(2) "Commission" means the State Fish and Wildlife Commission created by ORS 496.090 (State Fish and Wildlife Commission).
(3) "Compatible" means capable of existing in harmony so as to minimize conflict.
(4) "Department" means the State Department of Fish and Wildlife created by ORS 496.080 (State Department of Fish and Wildlife).
(5) "Director" means the State Fish and Wildlife Director appointed pursuant to ORS 496.112 (State Fish and Wildlife Director).
(6) "Endangered species" means:
(a) Any native wildlife species determined by the commission to be in danger of extinction throughout any significant portion of its range within this state.
(b) Any native wildlife species listed as an endangered species pursuant to the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-205, 16 U.S.C. 1531), as amended.
(7) "Fund" means the State Wildlife Fund created by ORS 496.300 (State Wildlife Fund).
(8) "Fur-bearing mammal" means beaver, bobcat, fisher, marten, mink, muskrat, otter, raccoon, red fox and gray fox.
(9) "Game mammal" means antelope, black bear, cougar, deer, elk, moose, mountain goat, mountain sheep, silver gray squirrel and gray wolf as a special status mammal defined by commission rule.
(10) "Hunt" means to take or attempt to take any wildlife by means involving the use of a weapon or with the assistance of any mammal or bird.
(11) "Manage" means to protect, preserve, propagate, promote, utilize and control wildlife.
(12) "Optimum level" means wildlife population levels that provide self-sustaining species as well as taking, nonconsumptive and recreational opportunities.
(13) "Person with a disability" means a person who complies with the requirement of ORS 496.018 (Person with disability under wildlife laws).
(14) "Shellfish" has the meaning given that term in ORS 506.011 (Types of marine life defined).
(15) "Species" means any species or subspecies of wildlife.
(16) "Take" means to kill or obtain possession or control of any wildlife.
(17) "Threatened species" means:
(a) Any native wildlife species the commission determines is likely to become an endangered species within the foreseeable future throughout any significant portion of its range within this state.
(b) Any native wildlife species listed as a threatened species pursuant to the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-205, 16 U.S.C. 1531), as amended.
(18) "Trap" means to take or attempt to take any wildlife by means involving the use of a trap, net, snare or other device used for the purpose of capture.
(19) "Wildlife" means fish, shellfish, amphibians and reptiles, feral swine as defined by State Department of Agriculture rule, wild birds as defined by commission rule and other wild mammals as defined by commission rule. [1973 c.723 §3; 1975 c.253 §5; 1977 c.136 §1; 1979 c.399 §1; 1979 c.615 §1a; 1985 c.60 §7; 1987 c.686 §1; 1991 c.67 §148; 1993 c.659 §1; 1999 c.25 §3; 2001 c.125 §1; 2003 c.656 §1; 2007 c.523 §1; 2009 c.778 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.