Cigarette packaging markings
(1) A manufacturer shall place a single type of marking on all packaging for cigarettes of the manufacturer sold in this state to indicate that cigarettes of the manufacturer sold in this state meet the fire safety performance standard established in ORS 476.770 (Determination of cigarette variety ignition propensity) (6).
(2) A manufacturer shall submit to the State Fire Marshal a proposal for marking cigarette packaging. The proposed marking must be in an eight-point font or larger and consist of one of the following:
(a) Modification of the universal product code to indicate a visible mark printed at or around the universal product code. The mark may consist of alphanumeric or symbolic characters permanently printed, stamped, engraved or embossed in conjunction with the universal product code.
(b) A visible combination of alphanumeric or symbolic characters permanently stamped, engraved or embossed upon the packaging or cellophane wrapping.
(c) Printed, stamped, engraved or embossed text indicating that the cigarettes meet the fire safety performance standard established in ORS 476.770 (Determination of cigarette variety ignition propensity) (6).
(3) The State Fire Marshal shall approve or disapprove the proposal for packaging marking. In determining whether to approve or disapprove a proposal for packaging marking, the State Fire Marshal:
(a) Shall give preference to packaging marking that is consistent with the packaging marking in use and approved for that cigarette variety in the State of New York; and
(b) Shall approve packaging marking that bears the letters “FSC.”
(4) A proposal for packaging marking is approved unless the State Fire Marshal disapproves the proposal on or before the 10th day after receipt. The approved packaging marking may be used for the cigarette variety upon receipt by the State Fire Marshal of the manufacturer certification for that variety under ORS 476.780 (Cigarette variety certification by manufacturer).
(5) A manufacturer may not modify the approved packaging marking unless the modification has been submitted to and approved by the State Fire Marshal. [2007 c.34 §8]
Note: See note under 476.755 (Definitions for ORS 476.755 to 476.790 and 476.995).
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.