Property insurance required
- • exceptions
- • filing of policy
(1) A person owning and operating a nuclear power plant in this state under a license issued by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission or under a site certificate issued under ORS 469.300 (Definitions) to 469.563 (Court orders for enforcement), 469.590 (Definitions for ORS 469.590 to 469.595) to 469.619 (State Department of Energy to make federal regulations available), 469.930 (Northwest Interstate Compact on Low-Level Radioactive Waste Management) and 469.992 (Civil penalties) shall obtain and maintain property insurance in the maximum insurable amount available for each nuclear incident occurring within this state, as required by this section. The insurance shall cover property damage occurring within a nuclear plant and its related or supporting facilities as a result of the nuclear incident.
(2) Insurance required under this section does not apply to:
(a) Any claim of an employee of a person obtaining insurance under this section, if the claim is made under a state or federal workers’ compensation Act and if the employee is employed at the site of and in connection with the nuclear power plant at which the nuclear incident occurred; or
(b) Any claim arising out of an act of war.
(3) A person obtaining insurance under this section shall maintain insurance for the term of the license issued to the nuclear power plant by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission and for any extension of the term, and until all radioactive material has been removed from the nuclear power plant and transportation of the radioactive material from the nuclear power plant has ended.
(4) A person obtaining insurance under this section shall file a copy of the insurance policy, any amendment to the policy and any superseding insurance policy with the Director of the State Department of Energy.
(5) Property insurance required under this section is in addition to and not in lieu of insurance coverage provided under the Price-Anderson Act (42 U.S.C. 2210).
(6) Property insurance required by subsections (1) to (5) of this section may include private insurance, self-insurance, utility industry association self-assurance pooling programs, or a combination of all three.
(7) A person may fulfill the requirements for an insurance policy under subsections (1) to (5) of this section by obtaining policies of one or more insurance carriers if the policies together meet the requirements of subsections (1) to (5) of this section. [Formerly 469.565]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.