Low carbon fuel standards
- • clean fuels program
- • rules
(1) The Environmental Quality Commission, by rule:
(a) Shall adopt low carbon fuel standards for gasoline, diesel and fuels used as substitutes or alternatives for gasoline or diesel; and
(b) Shall adopt a clean fuels program for facilitating compliance with the low carbon fuel standards and for managing and containing the costs of compliance with the low carbon fuel standards, in accordance with the requirements of ORS 468A.265 (Definitions) to 468A.277 (Rules).
(2) The commission may adopt rules related to the low carbon fuel standards, including but not limited to:
(a) A schedule to phase in implementation of the standards in a manner that reduces the average amount of greenhouse gas emissions per unit of fuel energy of the fuels by 10 percent below 2010 levels by the year 2025 or by a later date if the commission determines that an extension is appropriate to implement the low carbon fuel standards;
(b) Standards for greenhouse gas emissions attributable to the fuels throughout the lifecycles of the fuels, including but not limited to emissions from the production, storage, transportation and combustion of the fuels and from changes in land use associated with the fuels;
(c) Provisions allowing the use of all types of low carbon fuels to meet the low carbon fuel standards, including but not limited to biofuels, biogas, natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas, gasoline, diesel, hydrogen and electricity;
(d) Exemptions for fuels that are used in volumes below thresholds established by the commission;
(e) Standards, specifications, testing requirements and other measures as needed to ensure the quality of fuels produced in accordance with the low carbon fuel standards, including but not limited to the requirements of ORS 646.910 (Sale of gasoline blended with alcohol prohibited unless mixture meets federal specifications or requirements) to 646.923 (Retention of certificate of analysis) and administrative rules adopted by the State Department of Agriculture for motor fuel quality; and
(f) Adjustments to the amounts of greenhouse gas emissions per unit of fuel energy assigned to fuels for combustion and drive train efficiency.
(3) Before adopting low carbon fuel standards under this section, the commission shall consider the low carbon fuel standards of other states for the purpose of determining schedules and goals for the reduction of the average amount of greenhouse gas emissions per unit of fuel energy and the default values for these reductions for applicable fuels.
(4) The commission shall exempt from the low carbon fuel standards any person who imports in a calendar year less than 500,000 gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel, in total. Any fuel imported by persons that are related or share common ownership or control shall be aggregated together to determine whether a person is exempt under this subsection.
(5) In adopting rules under this section, the commission shall evaluate:
(a) Safety, feasibility, net reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and cost-effectiveness;
(b) Potential adverse impacts to public health and the environment, including but not limited to air quality, water quality and the generation and disposal of waste in this state;
(c) Flexible implementation approaches to minimize compliance costs; and
(d) Technical and economic studies of comparable greenhouse gas emissions reduction measures implemented in other states and any other studies as determined by the commission. [Formerly 468A.275]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.