As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Breaks” means the odd cents remaining after the payoff prices have been computed in accordance with ORS 462.140 (Prohibitions concerning bookmaking, betting) (3).
(2) “Calendar year” means a 12-month year, January 1 through December 31.
(3) “Commission” means the Oregon Racing Commission.
(4) “Continuous race meet” includes any exhibition of animal racing continuously at the same race course by two or more licensees where the mutuel system is used in conjunction with any race.
(5) “Drug” means any narcotic, sedative, anesthetic, analgesic, drug or other medication of any kind or description intended for use in any manner, directly or indirectly, internally or externally, in the diagnosis, treatment, mitigation or cure of injury or disease or for use in the prevention of disease that could affect, in any manner, the racing condition or performance of an animal as a depressant, stimulant, local anesthetic, analgesic, sedative or otherwise. “Drug” includes:
(a) Substances, other than foods, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of the animal and all substances affecting the central nervous system, respiratory system or blood pressure of any animal other than vitamins or supplemental feeds; and
(b) Any identified substance that can affect or interfere with the true and accurate testing and analysis of blood, saliva, urine or other samples taken from racing animals.
(6) “Fiscal year” means a 12-month year, as described in ORS 293.605 (Fiscal year).
(7) “Gross mutuel wagering” means all mutuel wagering that is made in person:
(a) At the race course of a race meet licensee;
(b) At an off-race course mutuel wagering location approved by the commission; or
(c) Through account wagering authorized under ORS 462.142 (Account wagering).
(8) “Licensee” means a person, partnership, corporation, political subdivision, municipal corporation or any other body holding a license under this chapter.
(9) “Mutuel” means a system whereby:
(a) Wagers with respect to the outcome of a race are placed with a wagering pool in which the participants are not wagering against the operator; and
(b) The operator distributes to one or more winning participants the total amount in the wagering pool, less amounts deducted by the operator as approved by the commission.
(10) “Public training track” means any race course or other facility that is available or open to the public for use in the training or schooling of racing animals.
(11) “Race” means any race conducted in a race meet. “Race” includes races conducted without wagering, provided one or more races in the meet are conducted with wagering.
(12) “Race course” means all the premises used in connection with the conduct of a race meet, including but not limited to, the race track, grandstands, paddock, stables, kennels and all other buildings and grounds adjacent to or appurtenant to the physical limits of the race track.
(13) “Race meet” means any exhibition of animal racing where the mutuel system is used in conjunction with any race. [Amended by 1953 c.497 §4; 1955 c.335 §1; 1957 c.313 §1; 1969 c.356 §10; 1975 c.550 §1; 1977 c.855 §1; 1981 c.544 §1; 1987 c.913 §7; 1997 c.865 §1; 2003 c.14 §294; 2011 c.176 §1; 2014 c.44 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.