Definitions for ORS 459.005 to 459.437, 459.705 to 459.790 and 459A.005 to 459A.665
As used in ORS 459.005 (Definitions for ORS 459.005 to 459.437, 459.705 to 459.790 and 459A.005 to 459A.665) to 459.437 (Requirements for sale or promotion of mercuric oxide batteries), 459.705 (Definitions for ORS 459.705 to 459.790) to 459.790 (Exceptions to ORS 459.705 to 459.785) and 459A.005 ("Opportunity to recycle" defined) to 459A.665 (Opportunity to recycle rigid plastic containers):
(1) "Affected person" means a person or entity involved in the solid waste collection service process including but not limited to a recycling collection service, disposal site permittee or owner, city, county and metropolitan service district.
(2) "Board of county commissioners" or "board" includes a county court.
(3) "Collection service" means a service that provides for collection of solid waste or recyclable material or both but does not include that part of a business operated under a certificate issued under ORS 822.110 (Dismantler certificate).
(4) "Commercial" means stores, offices including manufacturing and industry offices, restaurants, warehouses, schools, colleges, universities, hospitals and other nonmanufacturing entities, but does not include other manufacturing activities or business, manufacturing or processing activities in residential dwellings.
(5) "Commission" means the Environmental Quality Commission.
(6) "Compost" means the controlled biological decomposition of organic material or the product resulting from such a process.
(7) "Department" means the Department of Environmental Quality.
(8)(a) "Disposal site" means land and facilities used for the disposal, handling or transfer of, or energy recovery, material recovery and recycling from solid wastes, including but not limited to dumps, landfills, sludge lagoons, sludge treatment facilities, disposal sites for septic tank pumping or cesspool cleaning service, transfer stations, energy recovery facilities, incinerators for solid waste delivered by the public or by a collection service, composting plants and land and facilities previously used for solid waste disposal at a land disposal site.
(b) "Disposal site" does not include:
(A) A facility authorized by a permit issued under ORS 466.005 (Definitions for ORS 453.635 and 466.005 to 466.385) to 466.385 (Amendment of comprehensive plan and land use regulations) to store, treat or dispose of both hazardous waste and solid waste;
(B) A facility subject to the permit requirements of ORS 468B.050 (Water quality permit) or 468B.053 (Alternatives to obtaining water quality permit);
(C) A site used by the owner or person in control of the premises to dispose of soil, rock, concrete or other similar nondecomposable material, unless the site is used by the public either directly or through a collection service; or
(D) A site operated by a dismantler issued a certificate under ORS 822.110 (Dismantler certificate).
(9) "Energy recovery" means recovery in which all or a part of the solid waste materials are processed to use the heat content, or other forms of energy, of or from the material.
(10) "Franchise" includes a franchise, certificate, contract or license issued by a local government unit authorizing a person to provide solid waste management services.
(11) "Hazardous waste" has the meaning given that term in ORS 466.005 (Definitions for ORS 453.635 and 466.005 to 466.385).
(12) "Household hazardous waste" means any discarded, useless or unwanted chemical, material, substance or product that is or may be hazardous or toxic to the public or the environment and is commonly used in or around households and is generated by the household. "Household hazardous waste" may include but is not limited to some cleaners, solvents, pesticides and automotive and paint products.
(13) "Land disposal site" means a disposal site in which the method of disposing of solid waste is by landfill, dump, pit, pond or lagoon.
(14) "Landfill" means a facility for the disposal of solid waste involving the placement of solid waste on or beneath the land surface.
(15) "Local government unit" means a city, county, metropolitan service district formed under ORS chapter 268, sanitary district or sanitary authority formed under ORS chapter 450, county service district formed under ORS chapter 451, regional air quality control authority formed under ORS 468A.100 (Definitions for ORS 468A.010 and 468A.100 to 468A.180) to 468A.130 (Advisory committee) and 468A.140 (Assumption, retention and transfer of control over classes of air contamination sources) to 468A.175 (State aid) or any other local government unit responsible for solid waste management.
(16) "Material recovery" means any process of obtaining from solid waste, by presegregation or otherwise, materials that still have useful physical or chemical properties and can be reused or recycled for some purpose.
(17) "Metropolitan service district" means a district organized under ORS chapter 268 and exercising solid waste authority granted to such district under this chapter and ORS chapters 268 and 459A.
(18) "Person" means the United States, the state or a public or private corporation, local government unit, public agency, individual, partnership, association, firm, trust, estate or any other legal entity.
(19) "Recyclable material" means any material or group of materials that can be collected and sold for recycling at a net cost equal to or less than the cost of collection and disposal of the same material.
(20) "Recycling" means any process by which solid waste materials are transformed into new products in a manner that the original products may lose their identity.
(21) "Region" means the states of Idaho, Oregon and Washington and those counties in California and Nevada that share a common border with Oregon.
(22) "Regional disposal site" means a disposal site that receives, or a proposed disposal site that is designed to receive more than 75,000 tons of solid waste a year from outside the immediate service area in which the disposal site is located. As used in this subsection, "immediate service area" means the county boundary of all counties except a county that is within the boundary of the metropolitan service district. For a county within the metropolitan service district, "immediate service area" means the metropolitan service district boundary.
(23) "Reuse" means the return of a commodity into the economic stream for use in the same kind of application as before without change in its identity.
(24) "Solid waste" means all useless or discarded putrescible and nonputrescible materials, including but not limited to garbage, rubbish, refuse, ashes, paper and cardboard, sewage sludge, septic tank and cesspool pumpings or other sludge, useless or discarded commercial, industrial, demolition and construction materials, discarded or abandoned vehicles or parts thereof, discarded home and industrial appliances, manure, vegetable or animal solid and semisolid materials, dead animals and infectious waste as defined in ORS 459.386 (Definitions for ORS 459.386 to 459.405). "Solid waste" does not include:
(a) Hazardous waste as defined in ORS 466.005 (Definitions for ORS 453.635 and 466.005 to 466.385).
(b) Materials used for fertilizer or for other productive purposes or which are salvageable as such materials are used on land in agricultural operations and the growing or harvesting of crops and the raising of animals.
(c) Woody biomass that is combusted as a fuel by a facility that has obtained a permit described in ORS 468A.040 (Permits).
(25) "Solid waste management" means prevention or reduction of solid waste, management of the storage, collection, transportation, treatment, utilization, processing and final disposal of solid waste, recycling, reuse and material or energy recovery from solid waste and facilities necessary or convenient to such activities.
(26) "Source separate" means that the person who last uses recyclable material separates the recyclable material from solid waste.
(27) "Transfer station" means a fixed or mobile facility other than a collection vehicle where solid waste is deposited temporarily after being removed from the site of generation but before being transported to a final disposal location.
(28) "Waste prevention" means to reduce the amount of solid waste generated or resources used, without increasing toxicity, in the design, manufacture, purchase or use of products or packaging. "Waste prevention" does not include reuse, recycling or composting.
(29) "Wasteshed" means an area of the state having a common solid waste disposal system or designated by the commission as an appropriate area of the state within which to develop a common recycling program.
(30) "Woody biomass" means material from trees and woody plants, including limbs, tops, needles, leaves and other woody parts, grown in a forest, woodland, farm, rangeland or wildland-urban interface environment that is the by-product of forest management, ecosystem restoration or hazardous fuel reduction treatment.
(31) "Yard debris" includes grass clippings, leaves, hedge trimmings and similar vegetative waste generated from residential property or landscaping activities, but does not include stumps or similar bulky wood materials. [1971 c.648 §2; 1973 c.811 §1; 1973 c.835 §135; 1975 c.239 §1; 1977 c.867 §21; 1983 c.338 §931; 1983 c.729 §14; 1983 c.766 §5; 1987 c.876 §17; 1989 c.763 §12; 1989 c.833 §67; 1991 c.385 §6; 1991 c.765 §1; 1993 c.343 §1; 1993 c.560 §2; 1997 c.286 §3; 1997 c.552 §1; 2003 c.14 §290; 2005 c.654 §24; 2011 c.717 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.