Powers of department
- • status of terms of housing project use contained in recorded instruments
- • fees
The Housing and Community Services Department may:
(1) Undertake and carry out studies and analyses of housing needs within the state and ways of meeting such needs and make the results of such studies and analyses available to the public, qualified housing sponsors and the private housing sector.
(2) Prepare proposals on measures it considers necessary to address administration, housing programs or community services programs.
(3) With the approval of the Oregon Housing Stability Council, assess fees, charges or interest in connection with housing programs.
(4) Encourage community organizations to assist in initiating housing projects for persons and families of lower income.
(5) Encourage the salvage of usable housing scheduled for demolition or dislocation because of highway, school, urban renewal or other public projects by seeking authority for the public agencies involved in such programs to use the funds provided for the demolition or relocation of such buildings to enable qualified housing sponsors to relocate and rehabilitate such buildings for use by persons and families of lower income.
(6) Encourage research and demonstration projects to develop techniques and methods for increasing the supply of adequate, decent, safe and sanitary housing for persons and families of lower income.
(7) Make or participate in the making of residential loans to qualified individuals or housing sponsors to provide for the acquisition, construction, improvement, rehabilitation or permanent financing of residential housing or housing development; undertake commitments to make residential loans; purchase and sell residential loans at public or private sale; modify or alter such mortgages or loans; foreclose on any such mortgage or security interest or commence any action to protect or enforce any right conferred upon the department by any law, mortgage, security, agreement, contract or other agreement and to bid for and purchase property that is subject to such mortgage or security interest at any foreclosure or other sale; acquire or take possession of any such property and complete, administer, conserve, improve and otherwise use the property to accomplish the department’s purposes, pay the principal and interest on any obligations incurred in connection with such property and dispose of such property in such manner as the department determines necessary to protect its interests under ORS 456.515 (Definitions for ORS 456.515 to 456.725 and ORS chapter 458) to 456.725 (Discrimination against purchaser with children prohibited) and ORS chapter 458.
(8) Unless specifically exempted by the State Treasurer, deposit with the State Treasurer any funds held in reserve or sinking funds under ORS 456.515 (Definitions for ORS 456.515 to 456.725 and ORS chapter 458) to 456.725 (Discrimination against purchaser with children prohibited) and ORS chapter 458 and any other moneys not required for immediate use or disbursement by the department, subject to the provisions of any agreement with holders of bonds entered into prior to October 15, 1983.
(9) Advise and assist in the creation of any nonprofit housing corporation, consumer housing cooperative or limited dividend housing sponsor and give approval of the articles of incorporation and bylaws of any such organization in carrying out ORS 456.515 (Definitions for ORS 456.515 to 456.725 and ORS chapter 458) to 456.725 (Discrimination against purchaser with children prohibited).
(10) Cooperate with and exchange services, personnel and information with any federal, state or local governmental agency.
(11) With the approval of the State Treasurer, contract for the services of and consultation with trustees, investment and financial advisors, paying agents, remarketing agents and other professional persons or organizations in carrying out ORS 456.515 (Definitions for ORS 456.515 to 456.725 and ORS chapter 458) to 456.725 (Discrimination against purchaser with children prohibited) and ORS chapter 458.
(12) Contract for, act on or perform any other duties that the department considers necessary or appropriate to carry out housing programs and community services programs, including but not limited to contracting to provide compliance monitoring or other administrative functions with respect to housing developments and affordable housing, whether or not the housing developments or affordable housing receives department funding and whether or not the housing developments or affordable housing is located within this state. For purposes of this subsection, “affordable housing” has the meaning given that term in ORS 456.055 (General definitions for ORS 456.055 to 456.235).
(13) Purchase, service, sell and make commitments to purchase, service and sell residential loans to the extent permitted by ORS 456.635 (Commitments on residential loans) and 456.640 (Purchase of residential loans) (1) to (3).
(14) Initiate or assist appropriate state agencies, governmental bodies and public or private housing sponsors in the development, construction, acquisition, ownership, leasing, rehabilitation or management of housing to carry out the purposes of ORS 456.515 (Definitions for ORS 456.515 to 456.725 and ORS chapter 458) to 456.725 (Discrimination against purchaser with children prohibited) and ORS chapter 458 where such housing is not otherwise affordable or available in the area.
(15) Execute and record written instruments that contain terms, including but not limited to restrictive covenants or equitable servitudes, pertaining to the use and enjoyment of housing projects. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the executed instruments shall constitute and create restrictive covenants affecting and running with the property according to the terms of the instruments when recorded in the records of the county where the property is located. County clerks shall accept the instruments for recording when presented by or on behalf of the department.
(16) Subject to the provisions of any agreement then existing with bondholders, make available funds by contract, grant, loan or otherwise, including loan guarantees, insurance or other financial leveraging techniques, from moneys made available by the department to carry out the purposes of ORS 456.515 (Definitions for ORS 456.515 to 456.725 and ORS chapter 458) to 456.725 (Discrimination against purchaser with children prohibited), if such moneys are not needed for the operations of the department or otherwise determined by the Director of the Housing and Community Services Department to be a necessary or prudent reserve. [1973 c.828 §6; 1975 c.154 §8; 1979 c.60 §3; 1979 c.327 §6; 1981 c.504 §7; 1981 c.691 §2; 1983 c.519 §2; 1985 c.501 §3; 1987 c.567 §2; 1989 c.307 §6; 1991 c.739 §7; 1995 c.79 §252; 1999 c.1074 §3; 2001 c.738 §4; 2007 c.607 §18; 2007 c.783 §199; 2010 c.4 §1; 2015 c.180 §12]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.